• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

hibernating question...

playlboi

5 Year Member
ok. so my tegu has been hibernating for quite a while now. he hasn't eaten anything for more than 6 weeks. the last time he ate was about 3 weeks before that, which makes it about nine weeks now. and he's digested all his food and defecated and everything already. so yesterday he decides to come up and he defecated, without eating anything for the past 6 weeks. how is he able to poop without consuming anything for the longest time? i've also observed that the last time he pooped, he had no other stuff in his body. so anybody know what's going on?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
playlboi said:
ok. so my tegu has been hibernating for quite a while now. he hasn't eaten anything for more than 6 weeks. the last time he ate was about 3 weeks before that, which makes it about nine weeks now. and he's digested all his food and defecated and everything already. so yesterday he decides to come up and he defecated, without eating anything for the past 6 weeks. how is he able to poop without consuming anything for the longest time? i've also observed that the last time he pooped, he had no other stuff in his body. so anybody know what's going on?

He had to have something in there, he was removing what was left in his digestive tract.

playlboi

5 Year Member
i kept a close eye on it. it consumed nothing. maybe it just longer for it to get everything out of the system cause it was in the process of hibernating.

Joey

5 Year Member
playlboi said:
i kept a close eye on it. it consumed nothing. maybe it just longer for it to get everything out of the system cause it was in the process of hibernating.
Yah you really have to do that because if he goes into hibernation with food in his stomach the food will rot and he/she could die
We don't want that :cry: lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602