• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation/bromation

Jmoney1021

So I have read that golden tegus do not go into hibernation but they slow down very significantly. My is currently in this stage but continues to eat but I’m not s sure that’s the same for it drinking water its eyes look kind of sunk in and do not seem to have the same life as they did before this brumation. Is this normal or should I be concerned about dehydration? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
If it is dehydrated, or sick at all, it's tongue will probably start to go from the healthy pink that's normal, to grey, without much pink at all. They show their tongues all the time, so you'll be able to easily see that. Start forcing water onto her snout and face, if you see that it's grey, and try to get her to drink. I had to do this , and actually was able to get my male to drink from a bottle. He was on his way out - but at some point started to guzzle the water. As he did this, his tongue colored back up, but it took awhile. Water won't hurt them if it's in brumation. My concern is that I haven't seen the sunken eyes you're talking about. That could be dehydration too, but it would seem to me to be advanced. If you can get him/her to a vet it would be good. Hard to say without a picture, or more description.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980