• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation not going as planned, possible slow down this year?

nightanole

5-6lb male red 3ft. First year i have owned him, 9-18 months of age.

Everything started well. Dropped room temps to 64f. Reduced lighting to less than 12 hours a day. Still gets 4 hours of mid day basking at 110f. Mid nov started refusing meat. End of nov stopped coming out of hide every day and started refusing fruits. However its been 3 weeks, and hes still coming out and basking for several hours a day. The problem is hes starting to get skinny. He hasnt ate in close to 6 weeks, but is still active, maybe running at half the normal activity level. With shrinking jowes, deflated rear legs, and losing the tail taper, i caved and offered food. He ate a good amount of fruit. The next day i offered his normal meat, but he refused.

You think this might just be a beardy slowdown winter and i should continue offering food? Im going to continue with the basking spot till he doesnt come out of his hide for a few weeks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980