• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

hibernation questions:never done it before

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
I have had my oldest for 7 yrs and Ive never truely hibernated him, hes always been cooled down with the natural temp drop of our house, and he'll be more sleepy and not eat as much but never hibernated... I would like to hibernate my adults this year.... Im in california so it never gets too cold here so how do I go about hibernating them, can anyone point me towards or give me step by step instructions with detail. Im a total newbie when it comes to hibernating and don't know where to start! :huh::huh::huh::huh:

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If they feel the need or want to hibernate, they will do it on their own.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
So your saying just leave the temps the same and let them do their own thing? I thought that if they start to hibernate themselves you should lower the temps and do it properly??? Am I wrong? Could someone please let me know around what time most people hibernate their gu's and what temps?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If they do burrow down, you can shut off all lights/heat sources in the enclosure and let them be. Continue to offer fresh water in case they come out for a drink. I would leave everything on as usual until I didn't see them for at least two weeks, then everything was shut off.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
okay, good to know. so I dont have to put them in really cool temperatures? someone told me that they hibernate theirs in cooler chests in the garage so they stayed cold. i thought that was a bit cruel!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No you don't HAVE to do anything. I'm sure gradually lowering your temps over a few weeks might persuade them to go down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980