• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation Questions.

John Franzwa

Hello I have a couple questions regarding hibernation, I recently bought a tegu from a reptile expo about a month ago and he appears to be hibernating. He ate one pinky mouse and is about a foot long. He ate the mouse and then wouldn't eat, I tried a lot of things. Like eggs, Quail Eggs, Salmon, A lot of lettuce, and ground turkey.
He burrows and then doesn't move from that spot, so I figured he is hiding so I let him be until I realized its really dry in my room so I decide to check on him and I dug him out and he had a little bit of mucus on his nose is this something I should worry about? I'm very concerned and don't want him to be uncomfortable.
Any Tips on how to raise humidity? His enclosure is six feet by 3 feet.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You picked a good site for information. You also left out a lot of information on your part. What are the environmental conditions in your enclosure? You've had him one month, but when did he eat? When did you see a runny nose? Has he seen a vet?

Tegus are and should be expensive. We all always have lots to learn but ho.ework is very important.

I'll say it right here. Unless I knew the vendor VERY well, no way would I shop for a tegu at a rep. show. Too chancy rwgarding source and care of the tegu.

I advise a vet check. Make sure your tegu has adequate temps and humidity.

John Franzwa

You picked a good site for information. You also left out a lot of information on your part. What are the environmental conditions in your enclosure? You've had him one month, but when did he eat? When did you see a runny nose? Has he seen a vet?

Tegus are and should be expensive. We all always have lots to learn but ho.ework is very important.

I'll say it right here. Unless I knew the vendor VERY well, no way would I shop for a tegu at a rep. show. Too chancy rwgarding source and care of the tegu.

I advise a vet check. Make sure your tegu has adequate temps and humidity.

Ok Im buying a thermostat tomorrow but the humidity is about 40-50 I bought a personal humidifier That should help raise The humidity a lot I also think I need to move the uvb light closer to him because right now its at the top of his enclosure and I read somewhere That they need to be within a foot To actually work.

Griffin

It seems like you should do more research. You need a temp gun and thermostat and also a humidity guage. I would buy a reptile fogger that way you can actually maintain the humidity. I would be worried if his nose is running and he ate 1 pinky mouse in a month and you are not even sure if he’s getting UVB. I would be worried too if you aren’t even sure that you have hthe proper temps either. Go to a vet and read more on care to get a better understanding.

Zyn

Most of your local reptile shows will have a lot of
Poorly kept imports id also advise getting him checked for parasites

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam