• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation

JohnGinnIII

My Tegu is only sbout 6 months old and I heard that they do not hibernate till they are at least 1 year old. I increased her heat and it brough her out more and she even pooped and ate after like 3 weeks of not pooping or eating. But then after 2 days she is back to sleeping no matter the heat. Should I be worried

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I think she's prob fine...when they want to brumate - they brumate!! I was scared to death and thought I had killed my first lizard that decided it was time, I pulled her out, fed her, warmed her up...etc...and she proceeded to brumate as soon as I got over it. Lol (One thing I noticed is that they eat very well before they decide it's time) Hope that helps a little! I don't think there's a super defined timeline, and she may be older than you think? Mine was more than a year when I was told she was a year old. Within 6 months she was over 3 ft long.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Let it sleep as needed. Shorten basking time to several hours and don't extend daylength

JohnGinnIII

Now her tail is still shedding and I doubt she is getting the humdity she needs buy being buried. So is it okay for me to bath her till she fully sheds her tail?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced