• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

High Strung Iguana?

lauraj1055

I just got my new CaymanxCuban rock iguana today. I guess I'm just used to beardies being so docile, and this guy is so high strung. I know I just got him today, but do they calm down? And how long does it take? I'm sure he is still stressed from shipping. I just want to know if he will calm down?

[attachment=6086]
[attachment=6087]

Attachments

• Elliot.jpg
    Elliot.jpg
    821.2 KB · Views: 21
  • elliot1.jpg
    elliot1.jpg
    866.2 KB · Views: 21

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What are you housing him in? Can you post some pics? Refrain from any sort of handling for two weeks so that he/she can settle in and acclimate. Begin handling at a slow but steady pace and see how it goes from there. At a young age and small size, they are very flighty due to the fact that they think everything is a predator. Start slow and take things easy and all should be good through time and work. Lets see some pics of the setup, because if that tub I see is what your housing the iguana in, it will not suffice at all.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It can take quite a while to tame them down (up to 2 years), some have been able to do it faster. You have to work at their pace.

lauraj1055

TeguBuzz said:
What are you housing him in? Can you post some pics? Refrain from any sort of handling for two weeks so that he/she can settle in and acclimate. Begin handling at a slow but steady pace and see how it goes from there. At a young age and small size, they are very flighty due to the fact that they think everything is a predator. Start slow and take things easy and all should be good through time and work. Lets see some pics of the setup, because if that tub I see is what your housing the iguana in, it will not suffice at all.

No, that was just the tub I had at work to keep him in because I had him shipped to my work. Here are the pictures of his enclosure, temps, etc.. How hot should it be? Right under his light can get to 118. He let me hold him today after his bath, so that made me happy, and I did witness him eating some greens earlier.

[attachment=6091]
[attachment=6092]
[attachment=6093]
[attachment=6094]

Attachments

• cage1.jpg
    cage1.jpg
    984.2 KB · Views: 19
  • cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    859.2 KB · Views: 17
  • therm.jpg
    therm.jpg
    760.7 KB · Views: 19
  • ell.jpg
    ell.jpg
    887.2 KB · Views: 17

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think 118 is quite high. I'd reduce basking to a temperature gradient between 100-105 - those are the temps I housed Buzz in when he was indoors and they seemed to work great.

lauraj1055

TeguBuzz said:
I think 118 is quite high. I'd reduce basking to a temperature gradient between 100-105 - those are the temps I housed Buzz in when he was indoors and they seemed to work great.

Ok, thank you very much. I just moved his light wattage to 45 watt halogen flood.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Works, and with that you're using just regular heat bulbs? I'd definitely look into some Solar Glo's or Power Suns - they are great for heating and give off UVB. They are pricey but worth the penny.

lauraj1055

TeguBuzz said:
Works, and with that you're using just regular heat bulbs? I'd definitely look into some Solar Glo's or Power Suns - they are great for heating and give off UVB. They are pricey but worth the penny.

I have Solar Glo's and Powersuns for my Bearded dragons. I was told that if you use a Reptisun, not to use a MVB bulb too because that's too much UVB. I have an extra Solar glo I could use and get rid of the reptisun?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When I housed Buzz indoors I used a dual power suns and he's doing fine to this day, now weighing close to 22lbs and living outdoors.

lauraj1055

TeguBuzz said:
When I housed Buzz indoors I used a dual power suns and he's doing fine to this day, now weighing close to 22lbs and living outdoors.

Ok, thanks. I will not be able to house mine outdoors, well maybe for 3 months in the summer, but I plan on having a free roam room with the MVB's.

How old is yours?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam