• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How big are Tegus really?

AJ Kelly

Hello! So I watched this video by Clints Reptiles
and his Tegu which he says is a full grown male looks small. Is that how they really are or is it a trick of the camera? Also how much can Tegus weigh (males) I have heard anything from 15 pounds to 50 pounds. Thanks!

TheTeguNovice

5 Year Member
Hello! So I watched this video by Clints Reptiles
and his Tegu which he says is a full grown male looks small. Is that how they really are or is it a trick of the camera? Also how much can Tegus weigh (males) I have heard anything from 15 pounds to 50 pounds. Thanks!
Well Aj the truth is Tegu’s vary in size. It’s almost contingent on their hereditary gene pool. Similar to humans, if you asked the question, how big can a human get the answers would vary. However the “average” human height is 6ft. So from what I’ve seen and experienced the “average” male tegu is “about” 4-4.5ft. Females average around 3-3.5ft. In regards to weight that can vary as well due to husbandry and diet. There are a lot of obese Tegu’s out there. But on average your looking at 15-20lbs.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Tegus are apparently one of the few reptiles that appear to adhere to Bergman's rule, an ecological phenomenon wherein species/closely related groups with large distributions, show a change in adult size that has a gradient with latitude. Those populations nearest the equator tend to be comprised of individuals that are smaller as adults while those populations nearest the pole tend to be comprised of individuals that are larger as adults. As TheTeguNovice indicates, this has to do with their genetic history and not so much where they are living at the time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602