• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How offten do baby tegus use the loo?

Necro-Sigh

Hi, still new to being a tegu parent, how often do baby tegus go to the bathroom? I'm just worried he's impacted. Even though he's still eating here and there. I got some mineral oil and I'm giving him hot baths. Just in case eit is impaction. Are there any other things that could help? What are the signs? Other then being lethargic(He's not), wiggling the hips to try to go, and lack of appetite. ,

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Many here have raised tegus from near hatchling size. I haven't. However, with more or less constant feeding while growing, I imagine every other day or two. I am also interested in the answer

Necro-Sigh

Well, wifi went literately the day after I posted this. It was a decent poop. Not sure if he was backed up, but he went again the next day. Though the first five days he was home, he didn't poop either. He's such a little weirdo.

James Smith

A Tegu with a healthy diet should relieve theirselves once or sometimes twice a day. BOGA have never fell off that pattern yet. If he does, it would be my indicator that there is something wrong.

Chris & Stitches

I picked up a baby April 19th in the evening he still hasn’t pooped yet and I know he ate 4 crickets the night I brought him home and over a dozen yesterday and a little scrambled eggs he’s denied food today.otherwise acts normal I think.pretty lazy

Necro-Sigh

Yeah, he pooped at least once a day, we had feed him, his first baby mouse a bit to soon. So he had been backed up, but a little mineral oil solved that problem. Now he's happy and growing

Attachments

• 1581201803762.JPEG
    1581201803762.JPEG
    309.7 KB · Views: 17

Chris & Stitches

Well stitches routine today was bask then sleep in my hoodie for an hour or two and then bath and back to bask.3 baths, no poop still.offered him super worms, crickets, shrimp, raspberries, eggs and asparagus and kept licking the shrimp and licking his lips over and over but didn’t feel like eating.

Chris & Stitches

So stitches has been in the bath for about 20 minutes now and finally pooped.is this all I should be expecting?i was imagining more than that or a dark half like all my other reptiles have.

Attachments

• 0BB49C38-7D38-4317-8158-22846C065654.jpeg
    0BB49C38-7D38-4317-8158-22846C065654.jpeg
    701 KB · Views: 18
  • 8E3E9EBC-2266-46B4-96EB-2B1297871AC6.jpeg
    8E3E9EBC-2266-46B4-96EB-2B1297871AC6.jpeg
    602.1 KB · Views: 19

Necro-Sigh

So stitches has been in the bath for about 20 minutes now and finally pooped.is this all I should be expecting?i was imagining more than that or a dark half like all my other reptiles have.
That just looks like he only passed a urate. So he may be backed up. As with wifi, we used just a dash of mineral oil on his food. Since its a baby, just like wifi was, use a tinny, tiny amount.

Chris & Stitches

That just looks like he only passed a urate. So he may be backed up. As with wifi, we used just a dash of mineral oil on his food. Since its a baby, just like wifi was, use a tinny, tiny amount.
Will try that next.ill get some tomorrow, I’m also going to call and check with the seller what he was being fed...He had his tail lifted for quite a time after that came out.i figured he was trying.what should bathwater temp be?i put him in at 104 to be safe and took him out at 95 degrees.i use a big basking light and a 115 degree brick and it keeps the water temp over about a half hour

Chris & Stitches

He is asleep now on his bricks.im using a ceramic heater and keeping his sleep spot about 105 and hopefully morning bath time will relieve him.fingers crossed

Attachments

• 150EB2FE-20D1-4BE5-9C2C-18370744BB33.jpeg
    150EB2FE-20D1-4BE5-9C2C-18370744BB33.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • AC5C11D2-357B-4A8D-9260-2C8CC2481214.jpeg
    AC5C11D2-357B-4A8D-9260-2C8CC2481214.jpeg
    980.2 KB · Views: 14

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Guys please remember you've turned every aspect of these little guys lifes around..... I know its hard and worrying I've been there but......

I'm sure if someone with no warning suddenly flew you off to a strange country and changed your home, routine, view / aspect, diet and everything thing around you was different I'm sure you'd be a little nervous and backed up for a week ....... And you're an adult:D:D

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Guys please remember you've turned every aspect of these little guys lifes around..... I know its hard and worrying I've been there but......

I'm sure if someone with no warning suddenly flew you off to a strange country and changed your home, routine, view / aspect, diet and everything thing around you was different I'm sure you'd be a little nervous and backed up for a week ....... And you're an adult:D:D
Exactly. With some exceptions, like MBD, difficult to tease out health problems from weirditudes associated with settling in. Every single new tegu story I've heard or experienced involvesa first day of usually gentle normal behavior followed immediately by 1-2 weeks of hiding and being off-feed, their having realized they're not home anymore.

Chris & Stitches

yeah I can see how that could be the whole thing.its just so hard not to worry I was up all night one night when my emerald swift jumped off the lid of her tank and bellyflopped on the rock ledge of her water dish.i guess having two kids and knowing everything can go wrong at the same time out of nowhere, yeah. But I appreciate the answers and expertise sometimes I’ll post a question someone surely has posted before but the future brings new answers at times so I appreciate everybody

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced