• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How to fix oversaturated substrate

mayhewwet

Hey guys,

I have a tegu with Terra Firma dirt from thebiodude as his substrate, mixed with cypress mulch. His humidity is within the range after lots of tweaking, so I don't want to reduce the amount or frequency of how often his misting system runs.

However, there is a lot of water starting to build up with his dirt. It's basically mud at this point, and I see puddles of water in the corners of the tank. I'm worried about oversaturating and having these stagnant pools of water.

Any suggestions for how to fix this oversaturation? Do I just have to scoop out the water periodically?

Any substrates I can add to soak up this water? I've tried ecoEarth, but that just soaked up the water and got mixed up to add to the mud.

Thanks!

rantology

There is an issue of water in -> water out and ventilation. You may have too much ventilation thus ,not being able to keep the humidity high without overly frequent mistings. Its hard to say with no pics / description of the full setup though. If the tank is smaller, you can try rotating out substrate - take out the soggy over saturated substrate and replace it with fresh - let the soggy substrate dry outside the enclosure. You will need to address the ventilation / how well the enclosure holds humidity or it will keep happening though.

Alternatively, you may also consider a humidifier to supplement the misting system - they help increase humidity with less overall water soaking into the substrate.

mayhewwet

There is an issue of water in -> water out and ventilation. You may have too much ventilation thus ,not being able to keep the humidity high without overly frequent mistings. Its hard to say with no pics / description of the full setup though. If the tank is smaller, you can try rotating out substrate - take out the soggy over saturated substrate and replace it with fresh - let the soggy substrate dry outside the enclosure. You will need to address the ventilation / how well the enclosure holds humidity or it will keep happening though.

Alternatively, you may also consider a humidifier to supplement the misting system - they help increase humidity with less overall water soaking into the substrate.

Thank you so much. I'll look into trying these things.

Dylan koch

I have this issue but because my red tegus constantly spill their bowl for attention because they know I come change it and interact with them when I do. So I change their substrate almost weekly but I just use this mix at home depot it 10$ for a huge bake of peat and spagnum moss mix its natural and looks like first and when wet and mixed looks exactly like dirt and is super absorbent. And usually dries very fast under the lamp side

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced