• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

i hate ocean oddysey

frost

1,000+ Post Club
i went into this pet shop(if u can call it that) and when i went into the reptile section i saw this.[attachment=2976]
u might be thinking this is dead but its not....after i was staring at this ready to pounce on the owner i saw it start to move around.then i was really upset.my fiance had to drag be out of the store because i was headed into his office to tell him what i thought of him.

Attachments

• DSC00054.JPG
    DSC00054.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 11

adam1120

wtf you serious?? i thought it was only my local pet shop that sucks is that a leapoard gecko? wow i honestly cant stand stuff like this whats the point of opening a shop if you have no heart forr the animals your tring to find a home too waste of money for them and a waste of life for that litttle guy hope you can help:(

frost

1,000+ Post Club
yeah, it was a albino leopard gekko. i went to pet smart and asked the maniger there and they told me to contact the department of agriculture.i did and they gave another number to call. im going to call sometime today.

turtlepunk

ugh petsmart should REALLY stop selling animals!!!! both petsmart AND THEIR SUPPLIER SUUUCK! that goes to all big chain pet stores

slideaboot

5 Year Member
turtlepunk said:
ugh petsmart should REALLY stop selling animals!!!! both petsmart AND THEIR SUPPLIER SUUUCK! that goes to all big chain pet stores

It's weird, because I know that the PetCo (I know, a different company, but the same idea) here gets their feeders and a large amount of their "basic" reptiles (boas, balls, etc...) from a local, well-respected breeder (at least at some points during the year they do).

It'd be interesting to see what these animals look like when they arrive in the shops--whether they're already sickly and breeders are dumping them off on these major chain stores, or if the pet stores' care is just so bad that their animals' health just deteriorates in their care. Or, I guess, it could be a combination of the two.

To be fair, there are plenty of mom-and-pop pet stores that take just as poor of care of their animals as the big chains--don't get me wrong...I'm yet to see ANY major chain pet store actually taking proper care of all of their animals.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
the petsmart here actually have good animals.there arent as many but i know that the employees take them out and handle them everyday and feed them. there not in the best cages but at least there taken care of. there is another pet store here called soldans that is the opposite.the never get handled and most of the time there in the wrong cages and aren't fed the right diets.

Neeko

petsmart dropped sun pet as a vendor. Chain pet stores need to make money and they will its that simple. They wont continue a store thats making or losing money. A "mom and pop" store may take on the debt. They fall into so much debt they cant properly take care or care about the animals any more. Money is the root of the problem and corrupts the minds of individuals.

spidersandmonsters

Wow.. that looks like it might have been a leopard gecko at one time... poor thing. Why is it they can shut down a restaurant for poor quality, but not a pet store?

Neeko

Food places are more strict, humans eat there. I believe if you call animal welfare, not sure but some government agency that inspected pet stores they have to investigate.

turtlepunk

Neeko said:
petsmart dropped sun pet as a vendor. Chain pet stores need to make money and they will its that simple. They wont continue a store thats making or losing money. A "mom and pop" store may take on the debt. They fall into so much debt they cant properly take care or care about the animals any more. Money is the root of the problem and corrupts the minds of individuals.

yeah agreed. well said! I'm glad to hear they dropped sun pet!

@slideaboot: Yeah I've always wondered the condition of the animals being brought to the stores. and yeah you're right, there are some mom and pop shops that take poor care of their animals. very sad. =(

jondancer

Dang, is that in Saginaw mi? I used to ge there all the time . 5-10 hrs ago it was an awesome pet store, they even had exotics like small monkeys. Now they have really gone down hill, there saltwater used to be nice and now that's nothing to speak of either. And then to top it off they even started a display in mall called "desk pet" selling reptiles and critters in mall!

frost

1,000+ Post Club
yeah they shut down desk pets finally. people were going to petsmart telling them that the guy selling a iguana said that they only get 1 foot and they dont need light and they eat crickets. i over heard a lady telling them that...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602