• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I have a lot of questions

About my B&W Tegu handling

• holding him

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • waiting

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • touching him

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Wesley tegu

Hello my name is Wesley and I'm brand new and I have some questions about my Tegu Draco I got him at a Indianapolis reptile expo anyways Im struggling to tame him I've tried to tame him and handle him but I've had troubles like he doesn't want to be picked up he barley likes being touched in his cage and he only lets me touch him in a bath I've tried waiting in a room with him for two hours twice one time he went in between my legs when I was sitting but the next time I had a towel and he went undershot for shelter and I getting worried he's a little too old for taming he's about 30inches anyways plz give all the help you can I would be really greatful.

dpjm

5 Year Member
Tegus bite all the time. They are wild animals that are freaked out because they see big hands from a huge "predator" reaching down and grabbing at them. Of course it is going to bite you. It takes a long time to get it to trust you and this habituation training should be done in quite a systematic manner for it to be most effective.

If you think you are in over your head, and if this is your first reptile then that is DEFINITELY the case, then it would be best to find him a new home. You could put an ad on craigslist or something like that to try to find an EXPERIENCED keeper that would take it off your hands and offer it a good home. You might end up losing a bit of money on this, I would be more concerned about moving the tegu than making your money back. Tegus are not a good pet for most people and are certainly not for beginners.

Last edited:

Zyn

Agreed. Their size alone don't make them good for first time owners or even people imo who don't atleast own their own home

Wesley tegu

Tegus bite all the time. They are wild animals that are freaked out because they see big hands from a huge "predator" reaching down and grabbing at them. Of course it is going to bite you. It takes a long time to get it to trust you and this habituation training should be done in quite a systematic manner for it to be most effective.

If you think you are in over your head, and if this is your first reptile then that is DEFINITELY the case, then it would be best to find him a new home. You could put an ad on craigslist or something like that to try to find an EXPERIENCED keeper that would take it off your hands and offer it a good home. You might end up losing a bit of money on this, I would be more concerned about moving the tegu than making you money back. Tegus are not a good pet for most people and are certainly not for beginners.

any suggestions on how to tame him bc I'm willing to put forth the effort I love him and so far he I've got him to lay down in a shelter of my clothes next to me to be fare though I put him there and how long does it take to tame a tegu

Wesley tegu

he also in a really small cage right now which is bad but I'm about to make his adult new its going to be 8 by 4 if hi cage has anything to do with it.

Karri

Just be patient with him. Reptiles can take some getting used to for you to understand their body language. Try a heat lamp or pad on your lap so he wants to be there and let him relax. If you decide you need to rehome him please contact me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980