• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

In need of help!

RyderLynn

Hi! I'm new here, and this is my first post, but I am in need of some help. I am caring for a juvenile red tegu that belongs to a nearby highschool due to the shutdown in March. Up until this point he has done amazing transferring into my home and has ate well since being placed in my care. In the last few days he has begun to refuse foods that he once went crazy for (superworms, crickets, eggs, etc). And im not sure what to do at this point. Ive offered a variety of foods to encourage him to eat, but he still refuses and i am at a stage of beginning to worry due to him being fairly young. He is still drinking water, moving/walking well,, basking and everything else, but does not eat. Any advice or tips is appreciated!

Jorgo

What are the conditions of the enclosure (humidity, overall heat, basking heat)? Does the basking area have uva/uvb? And how long have you been taking care of them? It is possible they may just be entering brumation

RyderLynn

What are the conditions of the enclosure (humidity, overall heat, basking heat)? Does the basking area have uva/uvb? And how long have you been taking care of them? It is possible they may just be entering brumation
His humidity varies just due to the fact that I do not have a misting system and it is just based on when I am home and can spray his enclosure. His hot spot is roughly 89 degrees Fahrenheit, with a uv bulb as well. I have had him since March and I am to a point I am 99% sure myself that he is entering brumation.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
He's going into brumation. He may eat a little, or stop abruptly. You're doing a good job!! This is the most likely answer, if he looks healthy otherwise, and nothing has changed much except his eating habits. Lots of questions about this are being asked right now. It's brumation time. They all have their internal clock that slows them down and lures them into winter sleep. Make sure he has water at all times - freshen it up twice a week, even if he disappears. You can offer him food if he wanders out, but during the brumation, he may or may not desire it. They're all different.

RyderLynn

He's going into brumation. He may eat a little, or stop abruptly. You're doing a good job!! This is the most likely answer, if he looks healthy otherwise, and nothing has changed much except his eating habits. Lots of questions about this are being asked right now. It's brumation time. They all have their internal clock that slows them down and lures them into winter sleep. Make sure he has water at all times - freshen it up twice a week, even if he disappears. You can offer him food if he wanders out, but during the brumation, he may or may not desire it. They're all different.
Thank you for confirming for me! This is my first winter with him so I was slightly concerned as he is not actually mine

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam