• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Interesting behaviour post hibernation

Odonata

Shadow started hibernating at the end of October. I disturbed him briefly in March when I wanted to check on him, after which he went back to sleep.

For the last two weeks he has been coming out daily, though I have rarely seen him. He is eating every day and two days ago the enclosure was full of shed skin. He has been very skittish. Every time I would see him out he would immediately hit the dirt and dig himself out of sight. I was a little disappointed thinking that the entire taming process would need to start again from scratch. Prior to him going down he was very tame and would come out daily to socialize and explore.

This morning while hanging out with our bearded dragons Shadow came out and stayed out. While I was bathing the dragons, Shadow saw me walk by, reared up on his back legs (something he used to do when he wanted attention or out) and then climbed straight up my arm when I offered it. He immediately seemed like his old self, hanging out on my shoulder in the sun and very calm. I gave him a bath and he spent the next couple of hours out before deciding to find a heating vent to lay on and sleep (I put him back in his enclosure at that point).

I just thought I would share as this seemed very interesting to me. It is good to have the old Shadow back.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
This is very similar to niles. He went down in october, up in march. As he slowly came out of hibernation and began eating he was not the same 'fearless ' and friendly boy he was before. It did take awhile for him to stop darting under his hide, etc. Even now he has his moments of "oh my gosh! Something scared me! " he has ended up on the floor twice recently... but hopefully he will become more relaxed again soon. *fingers crossed* I am glad you do not have to 'retame '... good feeling isn't it? ;)

Odonata

And here is Shadow making his presence known by depositing shed skin inside my pillowcase!

Whatsinyourpillow.jpg

Odonata

Shadow has continued to pick up the pace post hibernation. He is settling back into a routine in terms of activity, feeding, pooing (doesn't seem to like to poo in his enclosure anymore which is great, he seems to hold it until he comes out and then first thing takes care of business...bathroom shower or tub is always the first stop!). He is just starting his second shed since waking up.

I came home today, sat in my room to do some emails (he must hear or sense my movement as he is usually buried by this time of day) and out he pops, gives me the eye and head wag, that says..."get me out of here fool!" I deposit him in the bath so he can take care of business, then let him roam around. He repeatedly came to me and snuggled into my hands and against me for the best part of an hour. Of course that is when I realized he was starting to shed....so much for affection, "scratching an itch, don't flatter yourself!" I am apparently a convenient post to rub against. I was just reflecting on what an amazing animal he is (he being an assumption at this point, since I haven't investigated the sex), when he drops down on to my lap, looks up at me and proceeds to dump another huge poo in my lap. Moment of tranquility shattered I squeeze my legs together to stop the poo from descending onto my bed, and waddle to the bathroom. I took Shadow into the shower and we cleaned up.....yeah, end of story.

Shadowshower2.jpg

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Niles likes to poop on my coffee table or my bed. Although in his enclosure seems to like to venture to the cool side (away from his hide) to drop it off. I just spot clean the peat, as he only averages about 2 a day. No problem :)

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
He looks nice, godzilla likes to poop on the hot side by his basking rock

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced