• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Intro and some questions

gone_awry

Hello, I am a first time Tegu keeper. I got an Argentine B&W hatchling (shipped from a breeder) last week, and have been working on bonding with my new little friend on her time. I don’t know whether she’s a male or female, but we’ve named her Lola. I’m an experienced keeper of reptiles, and having a Tegu of my own is a dream come true! I just love this little lizard and see so much personality already. I do have a couple of questions:

1. She seems to have her own schedule, so I’ve been putting her food in her tank on a shallow dish around the time I know she’ll be waking up. The scent of the food gets her out of her burrow, but she is picky! The only things she will eat are pinky mice and canned chicken cat food. I’ve provided different types of insects and she looks but won’t eat. She won’t touch fruit or vegetables. How can I get her to expand her diet? I ordered some reptilinks to see if she’ll eat them.

2. She is very active after eating, and will walk onto (or over) my hand when I leave it in her enclosure. I haven’t tried to pick her up out of the tank yet. How do I know she’s ready? She doesn’t run from me anymore as long as I don’t directly try to touch her, but if I try to touch her she will run and watch me from under some foliage.

Sorry to bombard with questions during my introduction, but I truly appreciate any advice or expertise you can share. Thank you!

rantology

Welcome and congrats!

I got my baby tegu earlier this month, too. I think they are partial to insects when they are little, my dude will do anything for a roach. I've been "tricking" him into transitioning to reptilinks by serving a mouthful of reptilink on a "roach plate" with my tongs, lol. This, and mixing in roaches with the reptilinks. It's basically like trying to get a cat to transition to a new food... whatever works :D Try different fruits if you can- black/blue/raspberries, and papaya especially are favorites for mine. They like sweet stuff as opposed to veggies (the greens you have to mix into their main food to get them to eat it).

About handling: I think it's safe to start handling as soon as you get them, within reason. If they seem particularly scared or flighty, back off and try again later. They are more defensive when in the enclosure and calm down when you take them out. But make sure you have your room "tegu proofed" as they tend to get spooked by new things and can take off (also handle low to the ground for this reason). And they run fast, lol. Pick them up by sliding your hand flat underneath her, don't grab from above. Other than that just visit with her every day, talk to her so she gets used to the sound of your voice. I recommend target training so she doesnt associate you/your hand with food/bitey time. I have a pair of blue tongs and a dog clicker, my little dude already come shooting out of the burrow when he hears/sees those.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Hi! and congrats! There's a lot of good info (like Rantology's reply) on this forum. I like her idea about the associative training. I think it's Bocacash that also recommends it. They are not hard to get into a routine, but require a lot of respect and patience....because they're smart. Bonding will happen, but they are not born with trust.

Try the old worn shirt that Walter1 recommends be put into the enclosure - it's a great way to keep your scent present in a non-threatening way. Mine were sleeping under and over the shirt I supplied almost immediately.

gone_awry

Thank you both for the replies! She is now refusing everything except canned cat food, so I covered some insects in canned cat food tonight and she ate it all! I’m going to do that with all of her food until we can start getting her excited to eat without cat food. She wouldn’t even eat the pinky I gave her first. I also took the advice to get her in the bath. She was skittish but seemed to enjoy it eventually and decided to climb all over me. She’s now back in her enclosure and hid for about 2 minutes, came out for a bit, then went back to her den. I hope it wasn’t too soon to take her out, but I guess I’ll just keep trying to show her I mean no harm. Thank you again!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
First two weeks is tegu readjustment time. Don't sweat it. Provide stability in all things- temperature gradient, water, humidity, talk every day, worn shirt in moist cool hide, a little food every other day. It'll pan out.

gone_awry

First two weeks is tegu readjustment time. Don't sweat it. Provide stability in all things- temperature gradient, water, humidity, talk every day, worn shirt in moist cool hide, a little food every other day. It'll pan out.
Thank you! I appreciate the encouragement. I’m such a nervous first time Tegu mom.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
You're doing well! Also - I don't think anyone would say to leave her alone - or to constantly pick her up. Her best interests would be to do whatever she's willing to do. If she wants picked up every day because she likes it - then you're (lucky) ok to do that. There are lots of people though that want to dig them out of their burrows to play with them, and I'd say that's just going to extend the settling process, and make them nervous. They are trying to shut out the world in the safest way possible when they're hiding/burrowing. If they aren't interrupted with that behavior, then there's a chance they will feel safer quicker. This is just my opinion after 2 years of having owned 3.

Don't forget to dust those crickets with calcium, or put some in the canned food.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
A good average is 1 week but it depends on the tegu. some take more than 2 weeks and others are very quick to calm down

That may be the case - I think the younger the animal, the more likely they'll settle sooner than later, because they don't know any other way of life. My 1 yr old male was (Satan's spawn) defiant and miserable for almost a year. He's now 3 yrs old, and has a bond with me that is different than with anyone else. He knows I'll protect him. It's hard to describe. Very cool though.

gone_awry

Thank you to everyone for your replies and kind words! I would definitely not dig her out, but she comes out on her own at the same time each day, and does not shy away from me as long as I don’t try to touch her. Since I took her out for a bath yesterday, I plan to spend time with her on her terms today. I took it as a good sign that when I put her back in her enclosure, she napped in her basking spot for about an hour before burrowing for the night. She didn’t hide from me.

The only other highly intelligent lizard I’ve had is a mangrove monitor. I adopted him as an adult rescue and he tolerated me, but did not bond with me. I’m so afraid to damage my relationship with my new little Tegu and want so much to get off to a good start in our bonding! I can see she’s not overly skittish so there is hope she’ll be my reptilian BFF. I sound crazy. Haha. Anyhoo - thanks again. The kindness is appreciated. :)

p.s. I definitely calcium-dust her cat food and cat food coated bugs. :)

p.p.s. Does anyone else live in constant fear of your Tegu dropping his/her tail?

gone_awry

That may be the case - I think the younger the animal, the more likely they'll settle sooner than later, because they don't know any other way of life. My 1 yr old male was (Satan's spawn) defiant and miserable for almost a year. He's now 3 yrs old, and has a bond with me that is different than with anyone else. He knows I'll protect him. It's hard to describe. Very cool though.

Aww that’s awesome you were able to turn the relationship around!

Lola is only a wee little baby. Shes 2 months old now. I hope this helps us to bond!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I have no fear of the tail dropping thing. It's obvious to me though that my female dropped hers before I ever got her, but it makes sense because Captain was a wild-caught Black/White from Florida. She's grown it back, and you wouldn't know it except it has no stripes. Probably leaves them a little shorter overall in their adult growth, but it's not really that noticeable on Captain.

If you plan to get more of these gems though....I think it could happen if they're in breeding season and a female isn't having it.

Godzilla Earth

I have no fear of the tail dropping thing. It's obvious to me though that my female dropped hers before I ever got her, but it makes sense because Captain was a wild-caught Black/White from Florida. She's grown it back, and you wouldn't know it except it has no stripes. Probably leaves them a little shorter overall in their adult growth, but it's not really that noticeable on Captain.

If you plan to get more of these gems though....I think it could happen if they're in breeding season and a female isn't having it.
I mean, the worst that could happen is that the tegu just looks weird, thats it

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Lol!! That's my Godzilla!! But we are nervous Moms! We can't have our tegus looking weird! I know, I know - we would still love them the same........BUT...we'd rather it doesn't happen if we can avoid it.

Godzilla Earth

Lol!! That's my Godzilla!! But we are nervous Moms! We can't have our tegus looking weird! I know, I know - we would still love them the same........BUT...we'd rather it doesn't happen if we can avoid it.
which is why tegus only has the scratch and dents for about half price.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980