• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is it possible to breed a B&W tegu with a Blue ?

Austin Johnson

i need some help, i had originally bought an argentine B&W with the intent to breed with another B&W but i had recently come into an offer i couldn't resist, with that being said. i bought a high white blue. i am wondering if its possible to breed these? so far i have read that they have bred. but no successfully hatched eggs. so i'm stuck and don't know what to do here.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i need some help, i had originally bought an argentine B&W with the intent to breed with another B&W but i had recently come into an offer i couldn't resist, with that being said. i bought a high white blue. i am wondering if its possible to breed these? so far i have read that they have bred. but no successfully hatched eggs. so i'm stuck and don't know what to do here.
I do not see why it wouldn't work. Perhaps failure is in care of the eggs and not the eggs themselves.

Cody096

If you do cross them with the black and white you could probably call them a bruiser, or whatever else you wanted to really. They're still tupinambis merinae.

snibborsirk

A chacoan is the the same species as a reg black and white - they are one in the same. Do your research and you'll see like the rest of us have that "chacoan" can't be proven in any way - most breeders just call their b&w's with a high white pattern and/or a slightly larger adult size a "chacoan" to differentiate them from the standard view of a typical argentine. Argentine, chacoan, blue, and red tegus are all sexually compatible just as Asians, Latinos, whites, blacks, etc... are!

Cody096

Lol I don't know if I'd go that far. From what i've read theres a lower fertility rate with the eggs of a cross between t. merinae and t. rufescens, though that could also be a huabandry issue.

dpjm

5 Year Member
Argentine, chacoan, blue, and red tegus are all sexually compatible just as Asians, Latinos, whites, blacks, etc... are!

The first three you listed are all the same species (Salvator merianae) so of course they will be able to breed. These would not even be considered a hybrid. Reds are a different species (Salvator rufescens) and I believe it was initially difficult to successfully breed them but I think it is done more successfully now. Those offspring would be called hybrids.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
dpjm, as usual you're pretty spot on, the only thing I'd "correct" you on is the word "hybrid". In popular usage, it's meaning has become frankly meaningless. Personally, I'd be with you in stating a hybrid should be a cross between different species, but modern usage of the word seems to have changed it. From www.dictionary.com:
the offspring of two animals or plants of different breeds, varieties, species, or genera, especially as produced through human manipulation for specific genetic characteristics.
by that lame definition, I'd say we're all hybrids, because we come from the copulations of "males" and "females", which are arguably different "varieties".

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lol I don't know if I'd go that far. From what i've read theres a lower fertility rate with the eggs of a cross between t. merinae and t. rufescens, though that could also be a huabandry issue.
Those are two different species, though. Even if closely related.

dpjm

5 Year Member
Thanks Roadkill. Popular usage screws with our strict biological definitions and renders then functionally meaningless. I found another definition for hybrid in New World Encyclopedia that has more meaning, especially in the first sense:
In biology, a hybrid is the offspring of individuals of different taxonomic groups or, in another sense, an offspring of crosses between populations, breeds, or cultivars within a single species.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny