• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is it possible???

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
Is it possible my month old tegu doesnt want to tame or doesnt like me?? As soon as I go to hold him (really slow) It starts either panting or runs into its hide. It seems he doesnt like me. Will this change when he/she gets bigger?? Hes also bit me 3 times and I cant have a three to four foot animal biting me in the future. Please help

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Chill brother. Lol. I hate to sound rude but chill bro, he's not gonna bark and run to the door when you get home. You haven't had him for very long and he isn't just gonna say, "Oh ok, this guy's cool." You're huge! And that means you're a predator. When you take him out do you leave him alone? They act tough but curiosity is their vice. They cannot stand to sit around when there is investigating to be done. Don't try to just pick him up and carry him or sunggle with him. That will come with age. Take him out and set him down somewhere to check things out.

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
techhousejunkie said:
Is it possible my month old tegu doesnt want to tame or doesnt like me?? As soon as I go to hold him (really slow) It starts either panting or runs into its hide. It seems he doesnt like me. Will this change when he/she gets bigger?? Hes also bit me 3 times and I cant have a three to four foot animal biting me in the future. Please help

Before I go into depth, would you mind proving some key details in order for me to assist you with your issue. Such as the type of cage hes in, and the size of the cage.

I would like to mention that a top opening cage (such as an aquarium or a rubbermaid) is not a good choice to keep your tegu(s) in. First off, these types of enclosures will induce aggression when your hand comes into their territory to "swoop" them up.

It is best to keep your tegu(s) inside enclosures that open from the sides. That way the tegu can see you coming, and hopefully will learn that your not a threat.

A month old tegu is still very young. In the wild, they are faced with many predators around this age that have only one thing in mind, "LUNCH". In this case, hes seeing you as something he shouldn't be around. Thus, the aggression will set in.

You want to make the tegu trust you. Put the tegu enclosure in a room that has medium activity. Some place that you are in frequently, but doesnt have to much noise levels. This way, he'll get use to your voice and your presense. Also, just sit down by the cage sometimes and entertain yourself. Sit for long periods of time just ignoring your tegu so your tegu will see your not there to hurt the tegu, but to co-exist with one another.

Once your tegu doesnt panic at the sight of your presence, then you may proceed with cage entering. Obviously, you still need to get into the cage to feed and water, but try not to force handle your tegu. Thats the last thing you want to do.

Forcing your tegu to be handled will loose all of the animals trust that it has gained. You do not want to break any trust with your tegu. TRUST IF THE KEY FACTOR OF TAMING A TEGU!
You may gain trust by showing that your not a threat, and letting your tegu come to you.

Now that your tegu has gotten use to your voice, open the cage up and simpling place your hand in the cage. Since your tegu is more scared, they tegu wants nothing to do with your hand. Do this quite often for a good amount of time. Just keep your hand in the cage and talk to your tegu. Let him know that your not a threat. If you can get your tegu use to your hand inside the cage, eventually, the tegu may actualy come up to you. Then, you can see if your tegu would like to be held. Do not pick the tegu up from over its back. Let the tegu walk onto your hand while you gently help slide it under the tegu.

I know I've missed a lot of things inside this post, but I believe you may get the gist of what I'm saying.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask away.

-Mike

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
I was told to handle the tegu everyday but what your saying is that I shouldnt hold him if he doesnt want to be held. So it might take a little time till I can even handle him? I guess patience is everything?

AB^

5 Year Member
One of the worse things you can do with more intelligent species is "force handling" or forcing interaction. Just let them get used to your prescence and you'll be ok

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
techhousejunkie said:
I was told to handle the tegu everyday but what your saying is that I shouldnt hold him if he doesnt want to be held. So it might take a little time till I can even handle him? I guess patience is everything?

It wont take long for your tegu to come around ;)

AB^ said:
One of the worse things you can do with more intelligent species is "force handling" or forcing interaction. Just let them get used to your prescence and you'll be ok

I couldn't say it any better :)

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
AB^ said:

I agree completely.

On another note....

Although most CBB tegus typically tame down well, some will be just downright unpleasant. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602