• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

is there a better way to get bedding

rex2311

my tegu is beginning to get big so i need to build his new terrarium soon. so are there good alternatives to cypress mulch or better places to get it? i know you cant use pine and he has already had parasites so i want it to be clean. people say dig up dirt but im worried about parasites. he already stopped growing for a year cause of those things. amazon and reptile expos still charge quite a bit for mulch. can i use maple or something?

Zyn

I mix the repti bark coco husk and bags of organic potting soil. Don’t trust cypress mulch

rex2311

Why don't you trust cypress mulch? Possible contamination? I would have thought potting soil would have a risk of biological contamination.
I do trust it. im just trying to save money. do you know of a good place to get cypress mulch. cause currently it will cost me nearly $200 just for enough mulch

EnjoysWine

Actually, that question was for Zyn since he said he doesn't trust cypress mulch. I've actually been looking for cypress mulch as well. No Home Depot near me carries it. It doesnt male sense to break the bank on mulch. I have a lot of the coconut husk but I'm looking for something else to mix it with. I kinda like Zyns suggestion of organic potting soil, mostly because it's quite inexpensive.

rex2311

Actually, that question was for Zyn since he said he doesn't trust cypress mulch. I've actually been looking for cypress mulch as well. No Home Depot near me carries it. It doesnt male sense to break the bank on mulch. I have a lot of the coconut husk but I'm looking for something else to mix it with. I kinda like Zyns suggestion of organic potting soil, mostly because it's quite inexpensive.
they sell it on amazon and pet stores but i heard the price varies based on location. pot soil might work. maybe i should ask my exotic vet

Zyn

It’s mainly due to impaction possibilities you don’t have with the coco husk and organgic Potting soil. The kind with 0 fertilizer. Also cypress from places like home depo aren’t heat treated, so the risk of mites and what not is high. I wouldn’t suggest getting it from home depo if you’re going to use cypress mulch maybe an organic green house or something. But with a few bricks of coco husk and organic potting soil there is little risk of impaction. He also seems to enjoy burrowing in it much more than mulch.

Skeep

5 Year Member
You can heat treat cypress mulch and other substrates yourself in the oven if you need to, but I haven't tried it myself.

I find soil works decently, except that dirt is, well, dirty! With my setup using dirt for a substrate made a huge mess around the enclosure, but if you have a high lip below your doors I think it should be fine. Also when your tegu is big enough to have a big water bath container and they flip it over, you have a cage full of mud. But it doesn't hurt to try it out. I want to try using soil again when I build a new better enclosure.

EnjoysWine

The risk of impaction from cypress mulch sounds like something I'd like to avoid.

I found sphagnum moss locally for 10 bucks for 3.7 cu. ft. The price seems pretty good to me. I'm going to mix this with coconut husk chips for a natural/organic substrate.

Would you guys recommend heat treating (baking) the moss, or do you think it's fine the way it is?

beardeddragon111

I didn't treat it when I used peat. Tbh I've been trying to find cypress for a long time. I want to try it at least. I wouldn't be so worried about impaction, it's definitely a higher risk than dirt, but remember when these animal eat they're digesting fur and bone. Unless he eats enormous pieces you're not gonna have a problem. Of course, that is assuming your enclosure is set up properly so he can digest.

If you want to treat the dirt that's fine, it will kill any mites if they are there, but I highly doubt that it will have any.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

onnie0047

I live south of Detroit, Last week I made a ton of calls and finally found three places that told me that their cypress was not a blend. I drove up north 110 miles, got there and found its a blend....drove 125 miles south outside of Toledo, they told me theirs was 100 % cypress, got there, nope its a blend. Drove east 70 miles, again disappointed just to find a blend....not quite sure these places understand the difference between 100% and a blend. I did find a supplier, I did not go to they are located in Delaware Ohio who's ad said it was 96% pure Cypress???? so I cant find a source for a cheaper priced Cypress they the pet stores....not too sure of the 96%. Anyone heard of 96% Cypress mulch before?

beardeddragon111

I live south of Detroit, Last week I made a ton of calls and finally found three places that told me that their cypress was not a blend. I drove up north 110 miles, got there and found its a blend....drove 125 miles south outside of Toledo, they told me theirs was 100 % cypress, got there, nope its a blend. Drove east 70 miles, again disappointed just to find a blend....not quite sure these places understand the difference between 100% and a blend. I did find a supplier, I did not go to they are located in Delaware Ohio who's ad said it was 96% pure Cypress???? so I cant find a source for a cheaper priced Cypress they the pet stores....not too sure of the 96%. Anyone heard of 96% Cypress mulch before?
Look through some suppliers websites until you find a 100% pure mulch. Then call them and tell them the order number to see if they have it. Thats what I've been trying, but to no avail. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to drive all the way from Alabama to Florida if I want my damn mulch.

beardeddragon111

Not worth it just get the bricks of coco husk and organic top soil
In my area they stuff everything but the peat with pine. If it's not labeled 100% pure, it's got pine. That's why I can't use top soil.

onnie0047

Look through some suppliers websites until you find a 100% pure mulch. Then call them and tell them the order number to see if they have it. Thats what I've been trying, but to no avail. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to drive all the way from Alabama to Florida if I want my damn mulch.

the pictures they show did not say blend, I called, they said nope it 100 percent cypress, drive, look at bags, whamo its a blend, the others had no clue either......I find some one day when I least expect it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced