• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is this normal?

Seham Salem

I have had my tegu for about 1 week. The first time i put my hand in, he bit me. I assumed he thought my hand was food. I decided to not bother him until after about 2 weeks as recommended. Today (exactly 1 wk) I was just peering into his enclosure and he lunged at me. I have not fed him today but im honestly a little scared about putting my bare hand in his enclosure. I use a glove to get in there right now. He is only 2 months, his bites dont hurt but still. Is this normal, because he is hungry? My husband is starting to think he is a Columbian cause of how nippy/jumpy he is.

Last edited:

Seham Salem

Uhh you haven’t fed him since you got him?
Of course i have!! Every single day! I always feed him around 5-6 when i get home from work. Just now when i got home i went to check on him because he was shedding and wanted to make sure he was okay, which he is. I soon as i put my face near the glass he lunged at me. So im trying to figure out, if its because he associates me with food, did i scare him. (I feed him from a bowl)

Last edited:

Zyn

Is he in a tank that opens from the top. He could be seeing you as a threat and since they can’t flight they will fight. Which means he’s healthy at least lol. But this could be him associating you with food which is normal. Over time he should calm down, they are smart reptiles. Just don’t reenforce bad behavior, like putting him down if he try’s to roll out of your hands. Once foods in his enclosure does he still pursue your hand or go to the bowl. If he ignores you once he sees food. It’s food association and feeding response. My Blue has a very strong response so he gets Tong fed or I normally wear a glove while giving him his bowl. But he’s only like this inside his enclosure. When I feed him on the floor he takes food right out of my hand. Always remember they are reptiles, they come with a certain amount of unpredictability. Learn their body language and you’ll be fine. My blue boy sev is puppy tame, but a full belly always helps :)

Seham Salem

Is he in a tank that opens from the top. He could be seeing you as a threat and since they can’t flight they will fight. Which means he’s healthy at least lol. But this could be him associating you with food which is normal. Over time he should calm down, they are smart reptiles. Just don’t reenforce bad behavior, like putting him down if he try’s to roll out of your hands. Once foods in his enclosure does he still pursue your hand or go to the bowl. If he ignores you once he sees food. It’s food association and feeding response. My Blue has a very strong response so he gets Tong fed or I normally wear a glove while giving him his bowl. But he’s only like this inside his enclosure. When I feed him on the floor he takes food right out of my hand. Always remember they are reptiles, they come with a certain amount of unpredictability. Learn their body language and you’ll be fine. My blue boy sev is puppy tame, but a full belly always helps :)
Now that you mention it he does seem more calm once he eats. But yes. It is open from the top. At least now i know this isn't permanent behavior. thank you

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
One other detail- enclosure is best a few feet off of the ground for similar reasons. If you reach down from on high, you're a hawk.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Also if you can just rest your hand in at opposite end of enclosure for him to get used to seeing and smelling it, moving closer over time as you and him feel more comfortable to do so.... If Its not possible to put your hand in the tank place it in clear sight just out side to start

Seham Salem

Also if you can just rest your hand in at opposite end of enclosure for him to get used to seeing and smelling it, moving closer over time as you and him feel more comfortable to do so.... If Its not possible to put your hand in the tank place it in clear sight just out side to start
I will start with that, i am a little scared too, so at least that way i can at least get comfortable with him too.

Seham Salem

I will start with that, i am a little scared too, so at least that way i can at least get comfortable with him too.
idk if you can see my recent post, but i just tried and he freaking bit me. Idk what to do, i don't want to wait too long, because i don't want this behavior with a larger/grown tegu but do i need to give him more time or what. Im really starting to panic about this

Seham Salem

If you can see my recent post that would help. I just put my bare hand in there. After his meal, he bit me! I need all the help i can get! I really think he is just evil, i posted a pic of him so you guys can maybe check for me as too what he is

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny