• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is this reptilemagazine advice good

Largelizards

Advice from reptilemagazine,
“After the first few days, you can start handling your tegu, gently but firmly, so that it doesn't fall or escape from your hands. Continue to hold your tegu, even if it is wriggling and trying to escape. Once it calms a bit, stroke the back of its head and talk to it in a soft voice. Once it's completely calm, wait another couple of minutes before placing your tegu back inside its enclosure.”

From what I read on this forums it seems like you’re mostly to let your tegu you go where he wants to go not obstruct him too much but I’m sure there is a balance and I’m trying to find where that balance is. I’m aware of tub techniques but was wondering if it’s a good technique to walk them in your hands,holding not tightly but only enough yo restrict his movement when he keeps trying to walk away?

Second, how important or is it to not to get them to stop squirming and trying to escape beforeputting them in the cage in order train them out of that behavior and not reinforce it?

It Would be great to see someone post a thread about balance of letting a new tegu explore and limiting their movement to tame and get them used to the environment they’re going to be surrounded by for life.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We don't really school each other. All varies among lizards. A good place to start is leaving the lizard alone for a week or so to settle in to their new home and routine. Talk to them, eyc.but don't touch. If a worn shirt is in their hide, then once you begin interacting, they will recognize your scent. Interaction can begin with petting al9ng side of neck, etc. Don't reach down from above. Eventually you can take him out but I would suggest a block-off hallway and see how it goes.

Largelizards

I understand that, but could you please answer the questions in regard to the specific techniques mentioned in article or the hand waking question?

Last edited:

Largelizards

I’m just looking for techniques like having them walking in your hands, away from you, but they are going to fast, do you restrain by holding just Enough so they can’t move until they stop, Or speed up your hand movements to catch them underneath ,Or is there another method? I’m looking for actual techniques to use to handle when I begin doing so and haven’t been able to find clear answers to seemling basic questions of handling for knowledgeable reptile keepers. I tend To over research and I like to hear all sides of arguments, and in the hobby there are some different techniques people use. Such as, does anyone know Ty Parks’s different handling techniques or what about Jayof prehistoric pets, like the way he tames his monitor to the point where a child could grab it’s tongue and not stress out? More than that kind of advice such as handle them more or less, I’d like to hear details of the ways that people actually do it. In my original post I asked about a balance between restricting and giving free movement. I’m asking these theoretical questions not because I don’t have a clue but because I want to compare notes and refine if necessary to make sure I’m doing the best by my tegu

Last edited:

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well, for me, it's been a combo. If I need to hold Oscar, even after he wants off, I've restrained him, and I'm dominant. He gives. Other times I'm sitting, he'll come over curiously poking everywhere, I'll scratch his head and big jowls, and leave him to go his way as he wants to, or I'll scratch him while he basks. One of my females thinks she's a lap dog.

Seems to me that once they see that you don't hurt them, they want to hang out with you, some more than others and some days more than others.

Early on, I'd take each on my lap and they could hide their head uner my shirt. Still a favorite for them. Once they want to leave, they get to leave.

Reatraint is for when necessary and after they get to know you.

Largelizards

Well, for me, it's been a combo. If I need to hold Oscar, even after he wants off, I've restrained him, and I'm dominant. He gives. Other times I'm sitting, he'll come over curiously poking everywhere, I'll scratch his head and big jowls, and leave him to go his way as he wants to, or I'll scratch him while he basks. One of my females thinks she's a lap dog.

Seems to me that once they see that you don't hurt them, they want to hang out with you, some more than others and some days more than others.

Early on, I'd take each on my lap and they could hide their head uner my shirt. Still a favorite for them. Once they want to leave, they get to leave.

Reatraint is for when necessary and after they get to know you.
Thanks for taking the time to respond, you made things more clear.

Griffin

Just a side note I would highly advise against restraining a young tegu. No reason to piss it off and be an annoying human. Good way to teach it to stay the hell away from you imo. Now older ones, who have a capability of biting your finger off, yeah that makes sense. But, you want the tegu to trust you, especially in the beginning when you’re first building your bond and it is learning life. The last thing I would do to make it “trust me” is squeeze/restrain if it wants away from you. Just my 2 cents

Largelizards

Thanks for response, I don’t plan to. I wasn’t convinced when I read the handling technique in the article and intuitively knew it was wrong. I appreciate the confirmation from experienced tegu owners such as yourself and Walter1 and hope I didn’t raise concerns for asking a question with what should of been an obvious answer.

Anyways, all is good. It’s been 1 week since I brought him home. He’s eating while getting used to my presence, no handling yet, and my room is secured with many solid concrete blocks, taped cardboard etc.

Pickle

Personally, I hold mine everyday while watching TV for just chilling out. If she's feeling anxious and Wiggly, I restrain her until she chills out, stroke her neck and back and talk to her gently, she comes down and just hangs out my lap. At that point if she wants to move on I allow her to do so. They're intelligent, if they're being anxious and little turds and you give them what they want they know they can continue to do that and get what they want. It just takes a little time and patience

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks for response, I don’t plan to. I wasn’t convinced when I read the handling technique in the article and intuitively knew it was wrong. I appreciate the confirmation from experienced tegu owners such as yourself and Walter1 and hope I didn’t raise concerns for asking a question with what should of been an obvious answer.

Anyways, all is good. It’s been 1 week since I brought him home. He’s eating while getting used to my presence, no handling yet, and my room is secured with many solid concrete blocks, taped cardboard etc.
It's fair for you to have asked dor sure. Different tegu ages come with different habits and approaches to lean towards. Main things to remember is that barring trauma, tegus are very very curious. Allow them that in associations will make for stronger friendship as they will want to check you out. Move slowly and talk to them. Some ways behaviorally they are like dogs and in other ways they are nit.

Largelizards

Personally, I hold mine everyday while watching TV for just chilling out. If she's feeling anxious and Wiggly, I restrain her until she chills out, stroke her neck and back and talk to her gently, she comes down and just hangs out my lap. At that point if she wants to move on I allow her to do so. They're intelligent, if they're being anxious and little turds and you give them what they want they know they can continue to do that and get what they want. It just takes a little time and patience
Thanks for sharing your experience, there definitely seems to be a balance to strike between training, restraining, and building trust. What you and Walter1 said both resonates with me and will be helpful in the journey ahead.

EnjoysWine

I just want to add that when carrying a young tegu such as when bringing them to another room for socializing, I would definitely have a firm grip/restraint on them. In a blink of an eye, they can leap off of your hand and injure themselves when they hit a hard floor. Just as long as you dont make any fast aggressive movements, they will learn that you're not a threat.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602