• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Issues outside :(

Gregor

My tegu is about 10 months old and it' finally getting warm enough to take him outside. My first attempt I had him on a leash and he did well for about 30 seconds then he flipped out and tried running eventually towards the door, the second time I had him on a harness and inside of a wire dog kennel with a blanket and fabric dog carrier for a hide and he freaked out again but this time he ran his face into the wire the he started bleeding, very little but still I would like some help on how to get him use to outside so he can get some natural sun. With out him getting overly stressed out

Freak out include running full speed death rolls and open mouth when I pick him up to take him inside. After being inside for about 10 minutes after he is calm again and handlable.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Any chance of a large and secure outdoor enclosure with hide? He'll settle in quickly.

Gregor

Unfortunatey it' not an enclosed yard or back yard and hoa wouldn't let something like that slide :/

dpjm

5 Year Member
Just keep trying, the first few times he will be very nervous and all those new stimuli will cause stress and freakouts until he gets more accustomed to it.

nightanole

I have a large ferret cage with 1" spacing between the bars. I load mine up in the house, then roll the whole thing out onto the patio. 30min later i roll the whole thing back into the house and transfer her back to her cage.

She also freaked out the first time i just put her in it outside, however she didnt freak out if she was put in it while in the house. The 1" spacing is nice because she cant rub her nose.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have a large ferret cage with 1" spacing between the bars. I load mine up in the house, then roll the whole thing out onto the patio. 30min later i roll the whole thing back into the house and transfer her back to her cage.

She also freaked out the first time i just put her in it outside, however she didnt freak out if she was put in it while in the house. The 1" spacing is nice because she cant rub her nose.
Good idea.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced