• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

its jesse from nh again my tegu is turning more gold than white is he a gold or a b&w

is he a gold or a b&w im confused his head is gold yes i understand that Colombian has a gold head but his body is becoming more gold than white his belly is is pure white but this top half is gold is it a gold or a b&w please help me determine if hes a gold or a b&w plz... hes was 6 1/2 inches when i got him he is now 19inches from march till now its july 24th i think that's a Lil slow to grow but anyone got a clue of whats going on hes in a 40g since i got him could it b the in-closer slowing his growth down???? anyone got a clue could it b where i live in the new england area cuz i figure im short an people down south are tall lol just a question? please anything will help me out

Tannaros

is he a gold or a b&w im confused his head is gold yes i understand that Colombian has a gold head but his body is becoming more gold than white his belly is is pure white but this top half is gold is it a gold or a b&w please help me determine if hes a gold or a b&w plz... hes was 6 1/2 inches when i got him he is now 19inches from march till now its july 24th i think that's a Lil slow to grow but anyone got a clue of whats going on hes in a 40g since i got him could it b the in-closer slowing his growth down???? anyone got a clue could it b where i live in the new england area cuz i figure im short an people down south are tall lol just a question? please anything will help me out

It's sort of a moot point trying to classify your tegu as either gold or black and white, many debates have gone on about this subject to no end. There is a member on the forum in the midsts of traditionally classifying teguixin I believe. However, if you wanted opinion, to me, it looks like a standard columbian black and white tegu.

As for growing that's dependent on some reasonably observed factors. The number of feedings, quantity offered, and items offered all effect growth rate. Assuming ideal conditions, an increased number of feedings generally directly corresponds to increased growth rates, as more food is more energy that can be allocated into growing. Many members of the captive herpetological hobby practice what's known as "power" feeding. This is even common within invertebrates. However, it should be noted that such practices generally have their shortcomings and consequences.

Other factors are also that of hibneration acitivty, previous husbandry, etc. I've seen many animals with "stunted" growth - wherein they were kept in conditions which did not meet all of their needs during the juvenile growth frenzy. Similarly, hibernation, while not always observed in columbians, plays a big role in growth rate of tegus as a whole. Missing a whole 6+ months of growing potential generally limits what size they put on.

Lastly, there's a genetic factor. Some tegus will simply grow slower or faster, smaller or larger than others.

If your husbandry is right - and you're offering a nutriously complete diet, then there's nothing to worry about.

And no, your personal locality has near nothing to do with the tegus growth. Unless of course you're referring to your area's environment, which inadvertently does.

It's sort of a moot point trying to classify your tegu as either gold or black and white, many debates have gone on about this subject to no end. There is a member on the forum in the midsts of traditionally classifying teguixin I believe. However, if you wanted opinion, to me, it looks like a standard columbian black and white tegu.

As for growing that's dependent on some reasonably observed factors. The number of feedings, quantity offered, and items offered all effect growth rate. Assuming ideal conditions, an increased number of feedings generally directly corresponds to increased growth rates, as more food is more energy that can be allocated into growing. Many members of the captive herpetological hobby practice what's known as "power" feeding. This is even common within invertebrates. However, it should be noted that such practices generally have their shortcomings and consequences.

Other factors are also that of hibneration acitivty, previous husbandry, etc. I've seen many animals with "stunted" growth - wherein they were kept in conditions which did not meet all of their needs during the juvenile growth frenzy. Similarly, hibernation, while not always observed in columbians, plays a big role in growth rate of tegus as a whole. Missing a whole 6+ months of growing potential generally limits what size they put on.

Lastly, there's a genetic factor. Some tegus will simply grow slower or faster, smaller or larger than others.

If your husbandry is right - and you're offering a nutriously complete diet, then there's nothing to worry about.

And no, your personal locality has near nothing to do with the tegus growth. Unless of course you're referring to your area's environment, which inadvertently does.

he was on an egg kick this whole time and got a blockage/impackintion the vet said an my local expert exotic reptial store..its daves dragons u can find them on davesdragons.com..... he ate one fuzzy in april an have been sticking his nose up at them since i just had to force feed one to him today i no for a fact its not good to do so but he hasnt eaten in almost a week so i did so had to cut it up into tinny bits just to get it into his mouth cuz he kept spitting it out i (calciumed it and muti-vitiman from repashy) kinda stinks but no other choice i appreciate everything u gave me for info the inviorment where i live its high in humidity and in the 60 threw 70s dew point is crazy but have his cage in all the right temps and humidity basking is 110-123 the highest cool spot is like 70-78 depends on the day humidity is anywhere from 50 and up.... my cresties do wonderful plus mating there humidity is a perfect 87 and temp from 70-80 like i said depends on the day ..... could my tegu just not like pinkys fuzzys or mice??? plus wont eat anything else.... could he just be picky???? i hope not its like he dont no how to chew so im working with himshowing him how to crew all day everyday nothing else better to do and hes not snappy very energenic..i do this cuz im on ssdi(husband) the wife works 40 hours a week so i work with him more often then her hes been drinking an awful lot of water an hides alot but i talked to my local exotic expert an they said thats a good thing we have a 100watt sunglow exoterra basking light an a 26watt tropical exoterra uvb 100 on him as well so idk whats going on and i dont no how to add pics to this sight yet still figureing it out but any more info will be great thank you jesse

If you're talking about the one in your avatar it's a Colombian not gold type.

yes i am thank u so much for the info its our first gu so we are doing everything recomended we are suppost to just couldnt figure if he was a gold or a B&W but like i said thank u so much for the info anymore will help more pics comen soon

Attachments

• houdini7.jpg
    houdini7.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
  • houdini8.jpg
    houdini8.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
  • houdini2.jpg
    houdini2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 37
  • houdini5.jpg
    houdini5.jpg