• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Its Very funny

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
Hi im trying to tame my red tegu down he/she is about a month old but, every time i go to take the lights and screentop off he/she is already running into the hide lol. It actually seems like he/she doesnt like me.
Any tips would be great

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sit next to his tank and read a book. Don't look at him. Let him see you and realize you're not a threat. Then put a t-shirt or something with your scent on it so he gets used to it. Then slowly try to put your hand in and let him check it out. Don't try to pick him up. Slowly advance the amount of interaction and let him get used to you.

See Bobby's Taming Guide for more info. http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Get him out and take him into the bathroom with you. That way you can't lose him. Then like Dave said, read a book or play your gameboy. Lol. They're too nosy to ignore you and will come explore you and decide that you're ok.

AB^

5 Year Member
techhousejunkie said:
Hi im trying to tame my red tegu down he/she is about a month old but, every time i go to take the lights and screentop off he/she is already running into the hide lol. It actually seems like he/she doesnt like me.
Any tips would be great

Top opening/screen cages are no good IMHO.
First off, you are coming at the animal from above. This in itself is not good as many predators will attack from above and instinct tells them to run from such things. Besides that Screen topped cages let out all heat and humidity which can cause various problems as well.

As far as the actual process of becoming non threatening to your tegu goes, dont force handle it. Just sit by the cage and work in the cage with out going for the animal eventually it will get used to your prescence and as it becomes accustomed to you and the tegu continues to grow large you will become less and less of a threat.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
with time and patience they will become alot more social. Take your time and be gentle. To help with humidity you can cover the top of the screen with a towel and cut out an opening for your lights. Thos also might help your tegu feel more secure in a closed environment. When they are young they are skittish due to the fact they are prey to larger animals. How old is your tegu?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
AB^ said:
Top opening/screen cages are no good IMHO.
First off, you are coming at the animal from above. This in itself is not good as many predators will attack from above and instinct tells them to run from such things.
Good point. Ours calmed down some after they were moved into a front opening enclosure.

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
he/she is a little over a month old. He/she wouldnt have breathing problems with a towel over the tank? (and my house wont burn down? lol)

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
I use a piece of glass over parts of it, but you can't put the light on the glass or he won't get any rays from it. Gotta be careful though, it can raise the temp a lot!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ApriliaRufo said:
I use a piece of glass over parts of it, but you can't put the light on the glass or he won't get any rays from it.
I put a piece of glass and light over an tank once. The glass cracked within a few minutes from the sudden expansion.

AB^

5 Year Member
Aluminum foil will work. I wouldnt worry too much about air exchange because you need to open the top daily regardeless to feed a young tegu.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
AB^ said:
Aluminum foil will work.
I use a few layers of aluminum foil covered with duct tape on the tops of our snake tanks (with a couple of 5" square openings for a light and the other to be covered when shedding). I put the water bowl partially over the UTH or put a 75W night time light over the water bowl, this will evaporate the water creating humidity. I can maintain 50-60% humidity for the BP's or 70-80% humidity for my BRB without misting.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
techhousejunkie said:
ok thanks i think im guna use the aluminum foil
Cover the aluminum foil with BLACK duct tape. It looks much better the plain gray tape.

Yea and since Dave's enclosures are always immaculately displayed, you wouldn't want anything looking even slightly unkept. When are you coming to build my enclosure Dave?

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
You buy, I'll fly!!!!

Lol. Well it's cheaper than a $1000 dollar enclosure.

New Haven, CT (HVN) to San Francisco, CA (SFO)
When you combine the 6 outbound and 10 return flights for this route you have 60 possible roundtrips.

Close

All Results

US Airways

Northwest

Nonstop
---
---
---
---
---
---

1 stop
---
---
---
---
---
---

2+ stops
from $435
$484 total
see below

from $435
$484 total
from $877
$930 total
---
---
---

Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?« Show previous airlines Show more airlines Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?»

Note: The prices shown below are for the flight only; they are e-ticket prices and include all flight taxes and fees. If your itinerary requires paper tickets there will be an additional charge.

1 Choose a departing flight or view complete roundtrips

Sort by: Price Duration Departure time Arrival time

from $435.00 + $49.99 taxes & fees = $484.99

2 tickets left at this price! See details

6:05 am Depart New Haven (HVN)
Arrive San Francisco (SFO) 1:45 pm Sun 2-Dec
Duration: 10hr 40mn US Airways 4587 / 1543 / 2756
Connect in Philadelphia (Philadelphia Intl.), Phoenix (Sky Harbor Intl.)

Preview seat availability Choose this departure

from $435.00 + $49.99 taxes & fees = $484.99

Arrive San Francisco (SFO) 3:54 pm Sun 2-Dec
Duration: 12hr 49mn US Airways 4587 / 1543 / 407
Connect in Philadelphia (Philadelphia Intl.), Phoenix (Sky Harbor Intl.)

from $522.00 + $49.99 taxes & fees = $571.99

3 tickets left at this price! See details

Arrive San Francisco (SFO) 3:05 pm Sun 2-Dec
Duration: 12hr 0mn US Airways 4587 / 6138 / 6067
Connect in Philadelphia (Philadelphia Intl.), Denver (Denver Intl.)

from $580.99 + $49.99 taxes & fees = $630.98

Arrive San Francisco (SFO) 2:28 pm Sun 2-Dec
Duration: 11hr 23mn US Airways 4587 / 1417
United 808
Connect in Philadelphia (Philadelphia Intl.), Los Angeles (LAX)

from $655.00 + $49.98 taxes & fees = $704.98

Arrive San Francisco (SFO) 1:42 pm Sun 2-Dec
Duration: 10hr 37mn US Airways 4587 / 2575
Northwest 221
Connect in Philadelphia (Philadelphia Intl.), Minneapolis (Minneapolis-St. Paul Intl.)

from $705.19 + $49.98 taxes & fees = $755.17

Arrive San Francisco (SFO) 2:55 pm Sun 2-Dec
Duration: 11hr 50mn US Airways 4587 / 6138
Frontier Airlines 659
Connect in Philadelphia (Philadelphia Intl.), Denver (Denver Intl.)

Hahaha we'll see.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You forgot about material cost and my labor fees. Since I'd be out of work for a week or two that would be another $1600!!!!!

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Hahaha, oh what the heck. You know you want to vacation in California anyway. Might as well just do it. You'll feel better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam