• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Just plain strange

mduke3

I've had this cornsnake since August now, and he doesn't seem to be doing okay. I took him in from an owner who didn't care for him properly/didn't want him any longer. Right now he's in a 20 gal, had aspen bedding but just switched to paper towels, and temps are about 85-90 on the hot side, and 75-80 on the cool side. He's about 3'6", not sure on age.

He's always been feisty, not the normal calm cornsnake, but since the middle of January he has been worse. Nipping out of no where, twitching, constantly on the move, doesn't want to be touched or held. He had passed his mouse from last sunday fine, had two large poos, but then threw something up on thursday... Just this pink blob. He has refused food since then. This snake has never refused a meal since I've had him.

He has always moved weird, and doesn't support himself when you hold him. He is just kinda limp, and won't wrap around you, he's always been like that since I have owned him. And now, if you go to pet him, or pick him up, he thrashes his body, and pushes you off of him. I am making a vet appointment to get him in as soon as possible but I wanted to see what your opinions on this is... It has me extremely worried, and I have no idea what his problem is.

Attachments

• IMAG3506.jpg
    IMAG3506.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAG3503.jpg
    IMAG3503.jpg
    977.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAG3484.jpg
    IMAG3484.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

Cassie

Those temps seem REALLY high to me....somewhere in the low 70s with a high of 85 on the hot side is fine.
Did you hibernate or brumate him at all?

You very well could have him thinking its time for mating...so naturally he'll refuse food and be more active.

mduke3

Cassie said:
Those temps seem REALLY high to me....somewhere in the low 70s with a high of 85 on the hot side is fine.
Did you hibernate or brumate him at all?

You very well could have him thinking its time for mating...so naturally he'll refuse food and be more active.

No, he didn't hibernate/brumate at all. I had the thermometer in there and on the hot spot it moved up to about 86 degrees, and not much more. Just for a general aspect its between 85-90 on the hot side, and he is usually right there under his light.

bfb345

thats weird with all of my experience with ball pythons ive never seen anything like this when a ball python is angry and doesnt want to be touched or held they "buck" kind of like a horse they kind of jump and push up the spot were you touched them but they dont twitch or anything

Cassie

Its important to realize that not all snakes are the same, they can all have different attitudes depending on how they were treated.
I own 3 BCIs, 2 of them are sweethearts, totally docile and have no issues being handled. The third is bitey, hissy, and pissy; if you so much as try to touch him he strikes at you.
My ball python also does not display """typical""" ball python behavior, he's also very bitey and hissy, despite being handled from day 1.
I've seen blood pythons who act more like balls, happily enjoying handling despite their "typical" nasty attitudes.

Things to consider: Was the snake handled regularly by the previous owner or was it thrown into a tank and barely looked at, let alone touched? Are you providing for all of its needs? Is it breeding season (males of any species are likely to refuse food and act out during their season, our big male boa just started plugging and his attitude is going south despite, as I said above, him normally being a sweetheart; it is the season for boas so it is to be expected of him); corns typically breed in the spring but, with your temps the way they are, you might be making him think it is mating time now. Plenty of breeders ignore the usual seasons for reptiles and set the temps year-round for breeding, so it is possible to use lighting and temps to trick them into their seasons.

Could be much deeper than anything you are seeing. There are infections that atrophy muscle, stomach issues like who knows Infection, cancer, maybe something else. Its great that you are taking him to a vet!!! Good luck let us know what happens.

mduke3

Cassie said:
Its important to realize that not all snakes are the same, they can all have different attitudes depending on how they were treated.
I own 3 BCIs, 2 of them are sweethearts, totally docile and have no issues being handled. The third is bitey, hissy, and pissy; if you so much as try to touch him he strikes at you.
My ball python also does not display """typical""" ball python behavior, he's also very bitey and hissy, despite being handled from day 1.
I've seen blood pythons who act more like balls, happily enjoying handling despite their "typical" nasty attitudes.

Things to consider: Was the snake handled regularly by the previous owner or was it thrown into a tank and barely looked at, let alone touched? Are you providing for all of its needs? Is it breeding season (males of any species are likely to refuse food and act out during their season, our big male boa just started plugging and his attitude is going south despite, as I said above, him normally being a sweetheart; it is the season for boas so it is to be expected of him); corns typically breed in the spring but, with your temps the way they are, you might be making him think it is mating time now. Plenty of breeders ignore the usual seasons for reptiles and set the temps year-round for breeding, so it is possible to use lighting and temps to trick them into their seasons.

They said he was handled often, and when I first got him he seemed to be handled fine, and would just sit in your arms. He'd never wrap around you or anything, just kinda sit there. Now he seems like something is bothering him. Even when he brushes against himself, he turns to see what it was. From what I've experienced, a snake will give warning if they are going to bite. Not just bite out of no where while being held, which he did, twice in the span of 5 minutes. No warning or anything, he wasn't pissy or mad, you can tell when snakes are. He just seemed uncomfotrable and unsure of what had happened. I guess breeding season could be a factor, but that doesn't give excuse for him throwing up, or all this twitching and thrashing he is doing. Thank you for your advice, and I'll let you all know what the vet says. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980