• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Keeping Substrate Humid

grapebasil

We’re in the middle of remodeling our tegu’s home; the enclosure is a 55 (he said, but it looks like 75 to me) gallon tank that we are building doors for in order to be able to rest it on its side for maximum space, a glass ceiling, and for ease of access. Our tegu is 5-6 months old, and still pretty small; they are a columbian gold. Anyhow, currently the tank is upright with plastic across the top to help keep up the humidity and heat. Right now it’s in a good zone of 95-80 warm to cool with basking of 100.

The humidity though is a constant battle due to the current open top (part of the reason we’re flipping it soon). Via misting and keeping wet towels across the top, I’ve managed to keep humidity pretty constantly at 70-80% or so (I am home all day and we have no wifi so my entertainment is husbandry and watching our various reptiles).

I have however noticed that the substrate is slowly drying out. It is cypress mulch (if I remember correctly) so I was wondering if it would be beneficial to take portions out and soak them to rehydrate? We are planning to switch to organic potting soil when we set the tank back up on its side next week, and plant some vegetation to help with humidity, but what should I be doing for now?

Additional thoughts on substrate for the new enclosure?

Skeep

5 Year Member
I've always found cypress mulch holds humidity well. It sounds like you're managing ok, and my only suggestion might be to cover the whole top in a plastic sheet.

Regarding turning the tank on its' side, I wanted to point out that glass filters most UV light, so you would need to make sure the lights can be inside the tank in that case.

grapebasil

UV light will definitely be inside the tank; the CHE we’re gonna have to see whether it’s better to build a divider and have it in there, or to do something else.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced