• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

leash or harness

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I just got my gu's harness's from ramblingrose, they are made by coastal size right

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What ever type that fits and they can't get out of it.
Korben's still small enough for those leather strap iguana harnesses for now. As he grows I'll find a small ferret harness that fits. I still have Dinos dog harness that I use to take him to work in but don't know if Natsuki is big enough to fit it yet.

It's similar to this but with out the straps. If I remember correctly it's all mesh and slips on, but I could be wrong about that since it's been packed away for a while. I took him with me to the store to find one that fits.

http://www.petco.com/product/110236/Petco-Comfort-Control-Blue-Dog-Harness.aspx

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
She's a member here, even with a harness you need a leash, I think you are reffering to a collar which would be a bad idea

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
I wouldn't put a leash on an animal that size anyways, as they're not as bulky and big and still more rapidly moving. I would be a bit scared about her being outside in the first place. If she bolted, theres a high probability she'd be gone. Young tegus are really really fast.

j.sawyer48

shes gatta get outside so i have to find somthing its just not healthy for a tegu to not go outside on a nice warm day.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
2'? I started my tegus(the ones that needed leashes) at 18" some even smaller, as long as the harness is appropriatly sized there is no danger, like I tell everyone worried about taking there reptile outside, get regular fecals and you'll be fine, I would never reccomend keeping a reptile inside unless its 1) nocturnal ie geckos, 2) too fragile ie anoles(even then you can get a portable mesh enclosure) or 3) they are heat sensitive ie uromastyx(unless its short periods) the need th suns uvb the lams we use don't come close to what they get when outside

AP27

I started my tegu with a harness at 28". I use a ferret one. But you should definately take it slow when getting them used to outside. They can get spooked easily when they're young or not used to it. I just started introducing Odin to the outdoors since he's used to the harness now. I just sit outside and form a little corral with my legs so he only has that little space and can't see very well the large open area surrounding him. It makes a big difference then just letting him be on the open ground. And I always have him on a harness and leash, kept close to me, and with a good hold on the leash just in case he gets spooked by something. 15-20min a day is all he gets right now until he gets more comfortable with being outside.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
I use T-Rex lizard harness, although I did recently buy Kodo a kitten harness at the recommendation of someone on the forum (I think it was Chelvis, since I believe that's what he uses for his caiman lizard Bacardi). When Kodo gains a bit more weight I think the kitten harness will fit better, but the T-Rex harness works great. The only issue I have with it is is placement of the nylon leash; when Kodo walks he often scrapes his claws against the leash which frays the nylon and eventually ruins the harness. I'be gone through at least four of them at this point.

j.sawyer48

CIMG0283.jpg

CIMG0282.jpg

CIMG0280.jpg

CIMG0279.jpg

CIMG0278.jpg

1332722033574imagejpeg_2.jpg

spark678

Nice harness. I had a rabbit one I think and the clips were on the bottom which my gu did not like. He would always try rubbing it to get it off. I need to find one that secures on top.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam