• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Leopard Geco Identification

aambumann

I would like some help identifying these geckos. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0026.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_0029.jpg
    DSC_0029.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 24

Tannaros

I would like some help identifying these geckos. Thanks for the help.

I'll take a little bit closer of a look when I sit down tonight - but off-hand it looks like, #1 - normal, #2 looks to be an albino of one of the strains. The red/brown suggests Bell to me, but that's a toss up. #3 looks to be a hypo of some type (in shed?), some carrot tail in there. #4 looks to be the subspecies Eublepharis afghanicus

A few closer pictures of eyes could help with identification a bit!

aambumann

Hi Tannaros, here are the new pics, Thanks again for the help.
I found these guys on Craigs list from a little boy who's family was moving to Florida and needed to find them a home. Just interested in what they might be, I believe they are all males. Previous owner housed them all together in a 10 gal tank with 2 hides and no humid hide. I have them housed together in a 55 gal. tank, a uth, with 4 hides and a humid hide. They all get along with no aggression. They seem to be used to handling. I will try and post new pics in same order as 1st set there are 2 pics of each in this set. They were kept on orange sand by previous owner, so the last pic in each set you can see his tail is stained, I've soaked him once so far hoping to get some of it off, is that anything to worry about or just keep an eye on it. They are eating well and seem healthy. Thank You.

Attachments

• DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0031.jpg
    DSC_0031.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0026.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0029.jpg
    DSC_0029.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 12

Tannaros

Just interested in what they might be, I believe they are all males.

Nice geckos.

Leopard geckos are pretty easy (relatively speaking) to sex. Males generally show quite obvious hemipenal bulges at the base of the tail, and equally obvious preformal pores. Females vary from slightly displaying these traits to not showing them at all.

However, I have had males who show relatively small bulges and no pores what so ever - even though they were breeding age geckos. That is a rare case though.

Previous owner housed them all together in a 10 gal tank with 2 hides and no humid hide. I have them housed together in a 55 gal. tank, a uth, with 4 hides and a humid hide. They all get along with no aggression.

The last gecko pictured (the one I suggested might be an Afghanicus) seems to have a regen tail - and it looks to be caused from bites. This could mean two things, one it could be that you actually have males and females (some males get overly rambunctious when breeding and end up injuring the female. Also, females sometimes have it out for one another and just bully one another around. The potential Bell also seems to have a regen tail - though it's not obvious as to what could've caused it.

More than likely this could be an example of prior male-male aggression, as Leo's do display that quite commonly.

Alternatively I could just be seeing this wrong and maybe this is the marking that you mentioned is stained orange?

They were kept on orange sand by previous owner, so the last pic in each set you can see his tail is stained, I've soaked him once so far hoping to get some of it off, is that anything to worry about or just keep an eye on it. They are eating well and seem healthy.

Unfortunately many of the pet store sand-based products have this effect.

The dye will come off after your gecko sheds - it's not really anything to be concerned about.

However, I should note that it looks like a few of them are having difficulty fully removing shed, or smoothly transitioning. I would probably offer them a few more humid hides - mine tend to spend a lot of their time in theirs lounging around during the day.

One additional note - you may want to consider offering them a small bowl of calcium powder (I usually use something small like the mealworm dishes or a juice bottle top) just in case they're in need from prior care.

Thank You.

You are quite welcome!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced