• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

lewisi hybrid iguana, eddie (pics added)

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i finally got one of these. he seems to be doing alright, hes about a year old. i named him after the iron maiden mascot. i've had him for a little while and he seems to be settling in a little bit. he doesn't run from me when i open the enclosure or when i go to feed him but he doesn't seem too comfortable with handling quite yet. i can get my hand near him but when i go for the touch he bolts. i know people will probably want pics, hopefully i can get a few tomorrow before work. he seems to have a funky schedule, is this common? sometimes i won't see him all day... i know he comes out because hes eating everything i offer. basking temp is 106* powersun MVB, lights are on a 13/11 cycle. he mostly eats mustard or collard greens. i use a multivitamin every other day and a calcium supplement 2-3x a week. hes got some fruit but fruit is only offered once a week tops. so far fruit has included apples, blueberries and strawberries.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
RE: lewisi hybrid iguana, eddie

IMG_0032_zps17ff76c1.jpg

IMG_0027_zpsef29b5b3.jpg

IMG_0017_zpsc2c9c825.jpg

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Great looking ig. Happy that you've joined us in this! I prefer to keep them on some sort of rock tile, but whatever works for you. Keep us posted on Eddie, you should check out my cayman/Cuban cross Buzz, I got some vids/threads up.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm going to make the switch to tile next time I need to change his substrate. I've seen your videos, yours has really blown up the last few months.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
rhetoricx said:
I'm going to make the switch to tile next time I need to change his substrate. I've seen your videos, yours has really blown up the last few months.

That's great to hear. I think I'm subbed to you on YouTube. Yea, in the last month he's gone from round 12lbs to 17lbs as of yesterday. Natural sunlight and outdoor housing works wonders. Is weather good in Oregon to where your ig can be housed outdoors eventually or just during summers?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I remember seeing the first video you posted of him, it doesn't seem like its taken him very long to grow lol. He's looking awesome.

It's good during the summer. He should be able to be housed outdoors during the spring/summer. Fall is really hit or miss, I'm sure I could make it manageable as long as a light/shelter would maintain good temps. Winter is a definite no-go, there are some nights were it drops to the 20s and doesn't quite make it to the 40s for day temps.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've been looking at other pictures of juvie cycluras. I'm wondering if he is a lewisi hybrid.. It's not a big deal to me, he's a cyclura which is what I was after. I feel like he looks like hes got more cuban traits but I'm certainly no expert. I suppose only time will tell, he seems like hes getting a little more coloring along his sides. These pics were with the flash on. His arm looks a little weird in this position but I assure you all its fine lol. He also seems to be terrified of water, I have 2 water dishes, large enough for his body to soak in, but I never ever see him in it. When I mist the cage he takes off if the smallest drop hits him. When I feed him I make sure to rinse the food, of course but I also put some water over it to make sure its nice and wet.

HO4dN.jpg

DoJur.jpg

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think a lot of the hybrids around are high percentage Cuban. Do you know the percentage of Cuban and Cayman?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No idea. I got him as a trade for Rango. I was offered a cyclura, when I asked what kind specifically I was told a lewisi hybrid. When I first found out about them I had my mind set on getting a cuban at some point. I asked david blair but he said that it was impossible to tell by pictures, not sure if he meant ever or just at this age. I'm going to assume its not a rhino ;). I've been looking through all the other threads and its crazy to see some of the changes they go through.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Eddie's looking great Lexi, keep it up. I'm thinking he might be a Cuban cross, them oranges on him are bold. Definitely not a rhino though, haha. Buzz finally finished his shedding so I'll post some new pics soon, he's got a whole lot of blue with a great deal of orange!

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Have any of you tried using the liquid supplements? I'm about to go to to petsmart (unfortunately) and I need to pick up another multivitamin. Is there anything I'd be missing by using the powder?

Also, they have 2 different pellet types. Still not seeing the mazuri.

Zoo med all natrual iguana food
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752646&lmdn=Pet+Type

"Juvenile Iguana Food
Ingredients: Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Fish Meal, Ground Lima Beans, Soybean & Corn Oil, Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, Kale, Glycerin, Yeast Culture, Dried Spirulina Microalgae, Vitamin E Supplement, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Lecithin, Silicon Dioxide (Carrier for Liquid Antioxidants), Ascorbyl Phosphate (Stabilized Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate (Source of Vitamin B2), Menadione Sodium Bisulfile Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Ribolfavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), D-Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Iron Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min.) 24.0%, Crude Fat (min.) 6.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 14.0%, Moisture (max.) 15.0%, Ash (max.) 8.0%."

Rep-cal iguana. This one has a few fruit ingredients in it, I was trying to keep the fruit percentage like 5-10%. Does this mean I should make a pass on this?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754053&lmdn=Pet+Type

"Rep-Cal Juvenile Iguana Food
Ingredients: Ground Corn, Soybean Meal, Soy Hulls, Corn Gluten Meal, Apple Fiber, Wheat Germ, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Vitamin C, Choline Chloride, Dried Mango, Dried Papaya, Dried Strawberry, Vegetable Oil, Methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, Spirulina, Iron Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, D-Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (Source of Vitamin D3), Hesperidin, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidionol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K), Cobalt Carbonate, Inositol, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Folic Acid, Artificial Color, Natural flavor.
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 24.0%
Crude Fat (min) 1.0%
Crude Fiber (max) 16.0%
Moisture (max) 12.0%
"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member