• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Lighter weight building material?

Donnie25

So I'm running into the issue of weight. I'm afraid a wooden enclosure filled with dirt will be too heavy for my upstairs(the floor wobbles as it is...). Is there anything I could use that would be lighter in weight to build this?

Zyn

Eh it's not going to change much between material for it to matter. No matter what you have the weight of the sub, a 8x4x4 enclosure, water, the tegu, basking rock or slate, borrow bins if you feel like it.

viejo

5 Year Member
You could use ratio of more peat and / or coir to topsoil. The moisture content will be a weight determining factor in this case.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You could use ratio of more peat and / or coir to topsoil. The moisture content will be a weight determining factor in this case.
If humidity and air flow are fine, you may not need the depth of substrate you think you do.

Donnie25

Hmmmm this is my main issue, not sure what to do. My floor is unsturdy as it is, when anyone walks you can see things shaking in the room. There are also 3 large, chameleon enclosures 2 feet of substrate each in that room... might have to find a new room. Wonder if I could make an insulated garage enclosure lol?

Zyn

Yeah I wouldn't put it anywhere that the floor could cave lol...Luckly being a home owner I knew when i first started looking at houses 3 years ago I wanted a big air tight basement lol

Donnie25

Thanks, been watching some videos. Btw I meant PVC not PIC, damn autocorrect.

So question, is there any downsides to using pvc? This would seem like a great way to keep moisture and substrate in. Seems like everyone uses wood for monitors/tegus though?

beardeddragon111

Well for me I couldn't find it locally, and having it shipped is expensive. You also want to be sure to get nice thick sheets because you can't really build it around a frame, you just screw the pieces straight together. That's why it's not used for monitors, they require so much dirt and a frame less enclosure simply wouldn't be strong enough. For tegus it should work though.

Donnie25

Hmmm well I might need to stick to wood then, I planned on having a fairly deep substrate layer for the bio critters. Maybe I can convince the GF to allow the tegu in the living room lol. If I can build the enclosure nice enough, might just look like a piece of furniture

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny