• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Lighting questions please help!!

Guman

What lights do you use in your 8x4x4 enclosures? And how low are they from the ceiling? I am looking at T-5's with Arcadia D3 12% lights hung at the top of the enclosure. What are your thoughts?

Waters

What lights do you use in your 8x4x4 enclosures? And how low are they from the ceiling? I am looking at T-5's with Arcadia D3 12% lights hung at the top of the enclosure. What are your thoughts?
I am using two HO T-5 fixtures with 14% Arcadia and daylight bulbs along with three 40W flood lamps for basking. They sit in a canopy above the tank roughly 15" above the basking area and 3-4' above the substrate. There are different levels to allow him to get closer or farther away from the UV. If it helps, the basking distance from the Arcadia bulbs are 9-12" for a 6%, 12-16" for a 12%, and 15-20" for a 14% bulb.

Guman

Thank you Waters I did find the information on the 14% lights and purchased them rather than the 12%. They will be here on Wednesday. I know I need to add at least one more flood light for basking. In two weeks I will add an additional two 36" T5's with the 14% lights. I would like to cover the whole enclosure with light bc he has a past history of MBD. I can't wait to finish his new home.

Waters

Thank you Waters I did find the information on the 14% lights and purchased them rather than the 12%. They will be here on Wednesday. I know I need to add at least one more flood light for basking. In two weeks I will add an additional two 36" T5's with the 14% lights. I would like to cover the whole enclosure with light bc he has a past history of MBD. I can't wait to finish his new home.
Yeah, you can't go wrong with the stronger bulbs.....just make sure he has an area where he can get out of the UV. My whole enclosure is covered but the distance for over 50% of it is further than the maximum of 20" required anyways so my Tegu has a ton of area where he can avoid UV if needed. Post pics of your enclosure!

Guman

This is the one I took before he moved into his new home. The lights came in a day early! So, my son has to get some lights up tonight. I will post more when it is finished. Right now the right side has 12" pavers, a household space heater hung from the roof, and a red basking light. On the left is the paper critter paper about a foot deep. The paper is deep enough that he can borrow himself completely! However, I would like to change out the substrate to a dirt mixture soon. Went with the paper because he had been on this since his prolapse last year and wanted to make sure he was not having any problems. It was handy when we first put him in because someone (me) did not look at the location of the outlets and had to flip flop the set up. He seems to like the extra space and is more active than he was in his old home. Now he gets up in the morning basks and walks around until about 1 pm. Then he goes back to the substrate side covers up and sleeps the rest of the day. He has been without UVB light for the past week so I can't wait to get light hung.

Attachments

• 20190101_124004.jpg
    20190101_124004.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 51

MasterJedi

For the size of your enclosure If u decided to use bulb lamp, I recommend at least 2 100watts UVB. If u go for the tube which will give u wider range. Heat lamp I only use one 225 watts that generate 90-125 heat for basking and I use this kind of heat lamp because of the height of the cage. I hang all the lamps inside the enclose. My Tegu don’t like lights all over him all the time, specially when he like to sleep or he will try to knock it out. Very smart. Do u know that Tegu generate their own body heat from the food they eat? That very true. Everyday I take Tiberius outside when it’s full sun just to catch some UVB light. I think natural sunlight is better than artificial light.

Guman

Got some time to snap a few pictures today. Still, need to add decor and get cords out of the way better but, it is a start. O' and Uno the first hatchling for our family.

Attachments

• 20190226_131334.jpg
    20190226_131334.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 20190226_131345.jpg
    20190226_131345.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 24
  • 20190226_131744.jpg
    20190226_131744.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 20190226_131703.jpg
    20190226_131703.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23

Guman

Thanks, Walter! I still need to get a pond liner and soil for the left-hand side because the paper substrate does not keep humidity. He does not poop in his home but he will pee. I am happy to report no prolapse! I was worried bc in the water sometimes he still pushes his hemps out and I would hate for him to pull that dirt inside. His strength has improved and he is much more active in the larger home. My son needs to drill a hole so the cables can exit better. It has been a long year getting him healthy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam