• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Little booger bit me!

Rusty7486

5 Year Member
HI I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

My boy Grim has loved crawling around inside my hoodie (while I'm wearing it) then having a mid day nap while I game or watch TV. Every day he claws at the enclosure to let me know he's ready. Then I get him out and he immediately goes in and starts burrowing around.

The other day he just randomly bit me on the shoulder. He let go immediately and I yelled NO and put him back in his enclosure.

I think what may have happened was he was trying to bite at the cloth to get it out of his way or something and didn't realize my flesh was underneath, but I'm not really sure.

My clothing was clean, I had a shower beforehand and didn't handle any food. He was fed the previous day and was being his normal docile self. He was tamed and trusted me completely within a month. Sweetest animal I've ever owned, and I've had many. I got very lucky with him and he came from a very good breeder.

There is another possibility that came to mind. He brumated as a baby so he isn't quite the full size a 2 year old should be just yet, though he is in a growth spurt now and his jowls are coming in. I'm thinking he's going through guberty and could be testing his limits with me like a hormonal teen.

What do y'all think?

Attachments

• 20191203_143931.jpg
    20191203_143931.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
  • 20191203_141751.jpg
    20191203_141751.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 68

rats

5 Year Member
Sounds accidental to me, but maybe he just didn't like the cloth he was on, or something irritated him, and he just bit down. Generally, tegus don't get bitey (except maybe the more aggressive Colombians?) so I'd rack this up to a one-time incident -- unless he does it again, then it's time to figure out what's bugging him. Tegus really are sweet, so biting is unusual.... my blue Foley bit me once on the neck and I think it's because I was holding him too hard or something... he hasn't repeated it ever, so I don't worry about it :).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam