• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Longtime coming

Guman

As many know last January our tegu fell ill. We spent almost $2600.00 to save him. The past 11 months have been a period of recovery for Ragu and our pocketbook. However, we are much closer to getting him into his permanent home. The dimensions are 8x4x4 feet. The front is simple plexie glass with the grooved slider. We plan on building a divider that fits front to back to install a substrate area. Due to budget constraints (husband had major workplace injury 4 years ago and has no income because work comp cut off his check. That is a story and fight in its self) we plan on filling a 2x2x4 area with the substrate and as funds allow increase his "sandbox" to 4x4x4. The larger area should be filled by March. We are in the process of off-gassing the stain and polyurethane. We have also ordered a total of 4 one light t-5 fixtures that are 4 foot long each. It will be heated with a mounted space heater (with safety cage) with a 120-watt radiant heat panel to come no later than March.

Does anyone have any additional recommendations?

I am considering mixing cypress mulch and Reptie Prime coconut husk.

How many have used a pond liner or tarp under their substrate?

Thanks hope everyone is having a happy new years day.
Steph

Attachments

• 20190101_122304.jpg
    20190101_122304.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 57
  • 20190101_122903.jpg
    20190101_122903.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 56
  • 20190101_122903.jpg
    20190101_122903.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 54
  • 20190101_123217.jpg
    20190101_123217.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 71

Waters

I second the pond liner.....but only for the substrate. I just used several coats of latex in my walls. Also might want to think about a light canopy so the lights aren't visible from the top and also not accessible by the tegu? You might already be doing this...just throwing out ideas. You can check out my enclosure thread if you want....always helps to look at other enclosures. I looked at hundreds before building mine lol.

Guman

Yes, I have thought about a pound liner. Currently, everything is set up on a double thickness operating room table covers. Which is as thick as an outdoor tarp but more water impermeable. We divided enclosure in half with paver on one side and critter paper on the other. Now just a process of nickel and dime until everything is perfect. I ended up with 36" lights. Do you guys think a bank of 4 lights is enough? I am running Arcadia 14%.

EnjoysWine

Are you going to set up a basking spot at one end? You may need to put a lamp there then check the heat with a thermal temperature gun, then add more lamps as needed to get the basking spot temp hot enough. Or are you using the radiant heat panel for the basking spot?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny