• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Maintaining humidity?

Marissa

I have a 1 1/2 - 2 month old tegu. She’s currently in a 40 gal frontal opening enclosure. I’ve been watching alot of videos from this guy on youtube called rose city reptiles, he basically has a tegu farm. I made the substrate he uses for his. Which is a 1:1:1 ratio of top soil, sand, and peat moss. I’m still having a hard time maintaining humidity. It’s fine for a little if I mist the enclosure good, but is usually drops back down in a range I don’t want it at. I’ve read you don’t really want to mist the enclosure again until the substrate is dry.

Heres a picture of our tank. Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8

Acre

My somewhat unconventional solution here in AZ where the RH runs 10-15% for months is to keep my tegu in a horse trough with about a foot of cypress mulch at the deep end. Heavy slate is placed over that and the tegu digs a burrow under it. Dumping water in a couple times a month keeps the burrow a bit damp and that's where the tegu is about 15 hours a day. The bottom two inches is soggy, above that it is just moist. The mercury vapor bulb creates a hot spot on top of the slate so the tegu can be a bit damp or totally dry. I have a red bulb for at night in the winter though the slate will hold heat through the night.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam