• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Malnourished Chacoan White head

Vetboi88

Hey folks,

Question, I met someone who wishes to rehome their chacoan whitehead. the chacoan is 3 years old but definitely about the size of my 6 -8 month old colombian or smaller. she doesnt have the weight on the animal. I am concerned the animal is severly underfed, the entire life of the tegu she has only fed the animal every 10 days. there are kinks in the tail. I am meeting her today to evaluate the animals health status. do you all think this is the permanent size of the animal? she asks 200? do you all think thats a good idea. O yea she has lost 2 toes.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Only manageable.

We as humans have responsibilities to step up, just as you are offering. I suggest that sometimes stepping up is, in my opinion, euthenasia for a human-caused debilitating problem whose best result is just above misery. Because I don't know you, I suggest staying away.

James Smith

I agree and disagree with Walter1. I absolutely respect everything Walter1 have said. He is very knowledgeable. I also will elaborate on one very important point Walter1 said. "We do not know you." Because we do not know you I can not say you do not inhabit the knowledge of nursing an overly abused animal like this B/W. Taking care of a healthy GU is hard enough. Maintaining it habitat, diet, handling, knowing and learning their signs is just the tip of the iceberg of what you need to do exceptionally well. Not only you would have to do all the basics exceptionally well you would have to take in account of how much of the abuse was inprinted on the animal, therefore there will most definitely be a long list of sign you will quickly have to deal with. That is just a small part of my opinion on the care side, but then you will have to consider the long list of Vet issues you will most definitely will have. Vet VISITS equal alot of money for a cause that possibly will not yield no reward. If you have such talent, skill, knowledge, heart, and a endless supply of money that will most definitely take to nurse this Gu back to health go right ahead,but let me tell you Walter1 nor I are beginners in the reptile world and if I would walk away then...Lastly for such and animal should be free. How can someone ask for money for Tegu they didn't even take care of. Enough said...Good luck on your decision. Please keep us posted on your decision. God bless.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Rescue??? Illness????and $200 doesn't add up in my eyes somewhere...

If you are willing to create a new life for this animal I believe it should be passed to your care for free, but the only person who is able to answer the question is you. Also be prepared cause like James says there's MIGHT be costly vet bills every step of the way.

James Smith

Rescue??? Illness????and $200 doesn't add up in my eyes somewhere...

If you are willing to create a new life for this animal I believe it should be passed to your care for free, but the only person who is able to answer the question is you. Also be prepared cause like James says there's MIGHT be costly vet bills every step of the way.

I totally agree, but I hate to be the one to say to anyone "not to rescue", because that is what I am all about; especially what is going on in South Florida. We as care takers must understand the work load that comes with taking care of a Tegu, less known an abused one. I just don't want anyone to bite off more than they can chew.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602