• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Maximus

Tim and Maximus

Hiya all, new here, and no pics yet, but will get some later.
I have been raising reptiles most of my life, and now have my first Tegu, Maximus. He (or she) is a red and right now he is about 10 inches long. My previous reptile experience has all been with snakes. I raised a burmese/indian python from a foot long baby to just over 16 ft.

I've had Max for a little over 2 weeks right now, and the experience so far has shown that he is an extremely picky eater. He likes salmon and chicken hearts, gizzards, and absolutely goes nuts over mealworms (already dead).

Here is where I need some advice though...he will NOT eat anything that has had a dusting of calcium powder. No matter how small amount I put on his food, he says nope..not gonna touch it! I've tried blending it into a paste of salmon and chicken, and he just simply refuses.

Any suggestions? And, nice to meet you all.
Thanks!
Tim

Zyn

You pre kill the mealworms ?

But I make sure my feeders are all gut loaded and get plenty of things like Kale, sweet potato’s, and carrots.

But as far as on it don’t put so much on i guess of hide it inside? Not sure never had this issue

Tim and Maximus

Hi Zyn..Thanks for the reply. No, I don't pre-kill the worms. I give him flukers gourmet mealworms...already dead. He loves em. I've tried just an ever so small amount, and he just refuses it totally. I may try some phoenix worms to at least get him some calcium.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Hi Zyn..Thanks for the reply. No, I don't pre-kill the worms. I give him flukers gourmet mealworms...already dead. He loves em. I've tried just an ever so small amount, and he just refuses it totally. I may try some phoenix worms to at least get him some calcium.

Skully was a picky eater when I first got her. She loves ground turkey, so i mixed it into that and she adapted. She also loves ground chicken. Other than finding the right thing that they can't resist....I'd try thawed pinkies. From what I understand those carry everything they need in their most organic form. Skully loves those, while still resisting veggies and bugs and fruit. Before I had Skully I lost a Tegu to Metabolic Bone Disease..... apparently caused by lack of calcium, so it's very scary to let this go very long. Good luck!! oh....Skully also loves a cracked open egg straight out of my fridge. Sounds like Max is still pretty new to his environment and if there's one thing I've learned about Tegu's....they're stubborn when they're adjusting.

Tim and Maximus

Thanks Debita for the reply. This is my first lizard, I've always had snakes before, so this is indeed a learning experience. The breeder I got Max from said he fed him mice, crickets, and moist dog food. I'll see if I can locate some pinkies, although I really don't want to get into the mouse/rat raising again. As far as stubborn goes, I can see that too. Max hates being picked up, but I'm sure he will come around with time. On a good note..he has never tried to bite!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Thanks Debita for the reply. This is my first lizard, I've always had snakes before, so this is indeed a learning experience. The breeder I got Max from said he fed him mice, crickets, and moist dog food. I'll see if I can locate some pinkies, although I really don't want to get into the mouse/rat raising again. As far as stubborn goes, I can see that too. Max hates being picked up, but I'm sure he will come around with time. On a good note..he has never tried to bite!

Skully tried to bite me several times in the first 4 months (I've had her 6 months) and mostly still hates the sight of me. She's calming down faster now, but I rarely hold her. I get my frozen pinkies at the local LLL Reptile shop and they seem reasonably priced to me. I know I could'nt give them live or raise them for her to eat. I started her with those once a week now she's 3'+ and is taking the fuzzies and even bigger. She loves those.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam