• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Meet Oreo!

VenusAndSaturn

full
full
12520-e5dc29257d3a3ba22c031b621a1a429f.jpg

Oreo is my 4 month old Ultra purple tegu, I got her from underground reptiles back in october on the 24th when she was around a month old, 50 grams and 9-10 inches long. She is now around 270 grams and 21 or so inches long. Shes quite large compared to when i first got her and i cant wait until shes full grown.

Currently shes in a 75 gallon with two MVB's, one being a megaray 160 watt on the highest point where she can bask (around 10 inches from the screen) and gets to about 100-110, and then the second being a Exo terra Solar Glo 160 watt that sits on the cool side portion of the tank and gets the closest object near it to around 85 or so with the majority of the tank being around 75-80.

Once it starts warming up outside i plan to add a small 6x6x6 room onto my room for her enclosure. However if that cant be done we have another option however it would be more difficult to heat and redesign, though a larger space of 6x6x8 feet.

Shes currently eating ground turkey, salmon, crickets, dubia roaches, pigeon eggs (when we have them, she hates chicken eggs), the occasional hornworm, along with the occasional fruits like bananas, blue berries, and red raspberries. I try to mix in greens like collards, mustard and turnip greens within the ground turkey. I do want to add in more whole prey items to her diet soon, the only thing close to a whole prey item she has had was when i opened up a pigeon egg and it was further along than i thought so she ended up having a somewhat undeveloped pigeon for lunch which she seemed to really enjoy.
She has slowed down quite a bit on food intake, however she usually accepts insects most of the time. I always offer her the choice to eat her non live food on a plate in her tank if she wants to.
Any suggestions on what to add to her diet would be appreciated.

Any tips in general would also be appreciated as this is my first time owning a tegu, previously ive only owned beardies, a blue tongue skink, leopard gecko and a ball python as far as reptiles go.

I also know that this isnt exactly a reptile a kid should own, in general kids shouldn't own reptiles to an extant. However even with me being only 14 i believe i can and will take care of her with the best of my abilities and am always willing to change so she can thrive.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
full
full
12520-e5dc29257d3a3ba22c031b621a1a429f.jpg

Oreo is my 4 month old Ultra purple tegu, I got her from underground reptiles back in october on the 24th when she was around a month old, 50 grams and 9-10 inches long. She is now around 270 grams and 21 or so inches long. Shes quite large compared to when i first got her and i cant wait until shes full grown.

Currently shes in a 75 gallon with two MVB's, one being a megaray 160 watt on the highest point where she can bask (around 10 inches from the screen) and gets to about 100-110, and then the second being a Exo terra Solar Glo 160 watt that sits on the cool side portion of the tank and gets the closest object near it to around 85 or so with the majority of the tank being around 75-80.

Once it starts warming up outside i plan to add a small 6x6x6 room onto my room for her enclosure. However if that cant be done we have another option however it would be more difficult to heat and redesign, though a larger space of 6x6x8 feet.

Shes currently eating ground turkey, salmon, crickets, dubia roaches, pigeon eggs (when we have them, she hates chicken eggs), the occasional hornworm, along with the occasional fruits like bananas, blue berries, and red raspberries. I try to mix in greens like collards, mustard and turnip greens within the ground turkey. I do want to add in more whole prey items to her diet soon, the only thing close to a whole prey item she has had was when i opened up a pigeon egg and it was further along than i thought so she ended up having a somewhat undeveloped pigeon for lunch which she seemed to really enjoy.
She has slowed down quite a bit on food intake, however she usually accepts insects most of the time. I always offer her the choice to eat her non live food on a plate in her tank if she wants to.
Any suggestions on what to add to her diet would be appreciated.

Any tips in general would also be appreciated as this is my first time owning a tegu, previously ive only owned beardies, a blue tongue skink, leopard gecko and a ball python as far as reptiles go.

I also know that this isnt exactly a reptile a kid should own, in general kids shouldn't own reptiles to an extant. However even with me being only 14 i believe i can and will take care of her with the best of my abilities and am always willing to change so she can thrive.
Looks to me that you're doing a fine job.

Zyn

Looks good to me as well. You might be young but it seem like you've done your research. Thumbs up and keep up the good work. She might be slowing down for the winter.

VenusAndSaturn

Yeah i did quite a lot hopefully anyway, and thats what i was thinking. She definitely likes to sleep a lot more than before.
Honestly wished i had enough dubia roaches to support her since thats all she'll really eat at the moment, right now i only have maybe 40 or so females, 2-4 males, 100 very small nymphs, and about 15 medium sized ones. Probably would of had more right now but a lot of stuff happened to them causing the majority to die off so thats a bit sucky but not entirely the end of the world.

full
full

Zyn

Well if she goes down for the winter you shouldn't have to worry about it lol. My blues been asleep for about 2 months ago

VenusAndSaturn

It would be nice to not worry about food so much, but hoping she wont. Already worried enough with my two adult beardies, currently my male is in burmation and has been since september, and im at least 50-60% sure my female is about to go down as well soon. I can hear her digging at the glass in her hide.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sounds like your well prepared and know what you're doing .... so good luck in the future and welcome to the tegu family...:D:tegu:

VenusAndSaturn

Im gonna try and feed her a hopper mouse later today or tomorrow depending on if shes hungry. Its already dead so i just need to thaw it out for her, though i'll probably cut it just a bit to make it a bit more enticing. Shes also going into shed so she's a bit of a grump because of that currently.

VenusAndSaturn

So just a bit of an update of sorts on Oreo. So she did eat the hopper mouse and seemed quite interested it and seemed to look around for more.
She's coming out and eating more now that I've gotten my room at a stable 75-80 or so with my space heater, she still goes down and sleeps in her hide most of the time but im not too worried as she hasn't lost any weight as she does eat most of the time.

As for her future enclosure I'm going with a different route thats going to be less costly for me as adding on a room may be too much.
I think im going to go with an animal plastics enclosure, probably their 8x3x2 enclosure that they have. Im not entirely sure if they could customize the height to be 3 feet or not. If not would that be fine or is 2 feet too low?
If its too low and they cant customize it do you guys recommend any other reasonably priced enclosures?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980