• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Meet Zwei and I!

Tessa Cadle

Zwei is my husband and I's argentine red tegu. We think that he is about a year old. When we got him, we think he was about 2-4 months old. We didn't know for sure because the company we got him from didn't tell us how old he was. He's about 2 pounds and about 2 ft long. He has quite the personality and is quite the picky eater. He loves ground turkey, blueberries, and spinach. We are so glad and excited to see what all new things we can learn!
47651f2c4b525609347d6f802834a059.jpg
14d88a2ec665356b2e2147f502cbb4f0.jpg
8d6377171c921fa1d9eab5301410500f.jpg
87daff3045b2ee6f610f2c00a2304634.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome. Beautiful lizard! For its health, no more spinach ever.

Tessa Cadle

Oh, thank you! Ah, I had seen that spinach was ok for them to have...what kind of greens do you suggest? We live in missouri so some types of greens are hard to come by that aren't horrifically expensive

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh, thank you! Ah, I had seen that spinach was ok for them to have...what kind of greens do you suggest? We live in missouri so some types of greens are hard to come by that aren't horrifically expensive

Collards, mustards, turnips, and dandelions areexcellent. Don't sweat it if veggies are eventually rejected. My adults eat blueberries and strawberries from time to time. Otherwise, its good quality wet dog food, frozen-thawed medium mice, and various disgusting organ meats, like hearts, gizzards, liver.

VenusAndSaturn

Collard, mustard and turnips are very easy to find in missouri, or at least where I am. I believe we get most of our greens from Walmart or Sunfresh.
These three should be fairly cheap depending on the place you get them.

Tessa Cadle

Collard, mustard and turnips are very easy to find in missouri, or at least where I am. I believe we get most of our greens from Walmart or Sunfresh.
These three should be fairly cheap depending on the place you get them.
Thanks for the tip! We are in nevada, about 45 north of joplin or about an hour and a half south of Kansas city. Where are you at?

Tessa Cadle

Collards, mustards, turnips, and dandelions areexcellent. Don't sweat it if veggies are eventually rejected. My adults eat blueberries and strawberries from time to time. Otherwise, its good quality wet dog food, frozen-thawed medium mice, and various disgusting organ meats, like hearts, gizzards, liver.
Oh I'm glad that we won't have to fight him if he won't eat greens. He occasionally will eat a small bite of cantelope and blackberries also. Since he's a red and red's typically have a harder time shedding, we are just glad that he is eating fruit since it will help him when he sheds

VenusAndSaturn

I live in Independence, not at all very far from Kansas city. From what my mom has told me, if I step over one side of the road im in Kansas city, if im on the side close to our house im in independence.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Fish oil and a moist sphagnum hide will help with shedding.

Zyn

I'd get him eating whole prey as soon as possible. So much more nutrients in the entire animal. Bones teeth nails organs my blue gets mostly whole prey, ground turkey/beef liver and cod liver oil. Dubia and sardines. Agree with Walter the humid hide with sphagmum did wonders for sev

VenusAndSaturn

Wet towels work very good as well, it's what I use during the night while the lights are off sitting on the ground on their side.

With a 20 gallon I can achieve 99% humidity. (I learned this when my BP was in shed)
In a 75 gallon so far with a single wet towel and about a 9"x18" square of screen not covered I can reach about 85% humidity throughout the enclosure and even more in my tegus burrows.

Nice high humidity, cod liver oil, and a moist hide is a very good mix for good sheds. Along with daily baths, for mine I usually rub coconut oil onto her skin so it doesn't dry out and cause the shed to worsen.
And then once the coconut oil soaks in I usually rub a bit of Aloe Vera (from the plant) onto her.

Guman

The reason spinach is not good for them is because of how high the oxalates are. The oxalates bind to the Ca+ and the reptile can not absorb the vitamin. Additionally, spinach is high in ca+ but, the amount of oxalates are greater. So, when you feed spinach you are feeding a food that actually pulls more ca+ from the reptiles bone storage. Collard greens, turnip greens, and mustard greens are good choices.

Guman

I would add the quality wet dog foid should be grain free.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny