• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Melamine and Bioactive Substrate

JohnGinnIII

Hi everyone, right now I am looking into getting a tegu. I am building an enclosure made out of melamine. As this seems to be one of the most efficient ways to make an enclosure. But I heard that if it gets any moisture in it, it eill rot the wood out. I want to do a bioactive soil for my tegu. Will the moisture from me spraying the soil get into the wood. Even if I seal it properly? I see people using draining rocks and sand but does the water still seep to the bottom. If so should I line the bottom first then add in the hydroballs or sand, then add the mesh lining and then add the eco earth. I want to make the bioactive soil, but just don't want to risk rotting out the melamine.
Please any answers will help. I'm reall new to the reptile hobby.

EnjoysWine

Bio-active substrate needs to be moist all the time. If that is in contact with the melamine, it will rot away. You could use thick plastic such as a pond liner to create a barrier.

JohnGinnIII

Thanks I was thinking of doing that. I want to give it the best environment possible. Have you made or heard of a bio active tank with a tegu. Also do you know what tool I can use to keep water coming into the tank. I know I want to buy a fogger also. But wanted to know if misting with a water bottle is the only way to get water in or is there a tube or something that just sprays water out like a timed sprinkler

EnjoysWine

Thanks I was thinking of doing that. I want to give it the best environment possible. Have you made or heard of a bio active tank with a tegu. Also do you know what tool I can use to keep water coming into the tank. I know I want to buy a fogger also. But wanted to know if misting with a water bottle is the only way to get water in or is there a tube or something that just sprays water out like a timed sprinkler

I haven't done bio active myself but search for it on this forum and you'll find information about it.

I personally just use a pressurized sprayer - the kind you pressureize by pumping with your hand, and you can get them at hardware stores for spraying pesticides (of course you wouldn't use one that ever had pesticides in it).

I've heard others mention a Mist King system, which is an automatic mister. Search it up. I haven't used it myself.

JohnGinnIII

Thank you, If you don't mind me asking. What do you have your tegu on. Right now i have eco earth and dome forest floor( cypres mulch) that i was going to mix together. I heard this is great for humidity and helps them shed easier.

EnjoysWine

I currently use a mixture of coconut husk (similar to eco earth I think) and peat moss. It works really well for humidity and good shedding. I avoid cypress mulch because I'm worried about possible impaction (blockage in the intestines) if a large piece is accidentally swallowed. Many people use cypress mulch without issues but I'd rather avoid the risk. Another good substrate to mix in is organic potting soil, which I may add to my mix soon.

JohnGinnIII

Great thanks for that. I will consider making the change after I see how this batch does since I have cypress mulch already and I would like to see if he or she actually enjoys it.
I have another question, Right now I am stuck with a Screen mesh top. I am going to buy a mister or fogger to make ensure it is humid. But I wanted to know how would I keep the humidity in the tank or should I just forget the mist machine and buy a water sprayer.

JohnGinnIII

Again thanks for all the info. I am looking into things and researching, but you are the best to talk to for actual facts. Since you all have this great pets.

EnjoysWine

The foggers add a neat visual effect but in my opinion they don't add a lot of moisture unless you leave it running like all the time. I don't think they're meant for large enclosures such as what a Tegu would need. A mister or sprayer will add a lot more water to the enclosure which becomes humidity when it evaporates.

If you have a screen top, you could consider blocking part of it off maybe with a sheet of plastic or something to keep in more of the humidity.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced