• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Mercury Vaper Bulbs can make you sick?

Khaotic

So Im still in the research phase of my tegu adventure and im trying to figure out the best type of UVB fixture to buy. I've heard amazing things about Megaray bulbs and have checked out their website thinking my search for the best UVB light was finally over! Then i read this article:

http://www.anapsid.org/mercuryvapor3.html

I would just like to know everyones opinion on high output UVB bulbs and their potential dangers. Thanks for the help guys.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So Im still in the research phase of my tegu adventure and im trying to figure out the best type of UVB fixture to buy. I've heard amazing things about Megaray bulbs and have checked out their website thinking my search for the best UVB light was finally over! Then i read this article:

http://www.anapsid.org/mercuryvapor3.html

I would just like to know everyones opinion on high output UVB bulbs and their potential dangers. Thanks for the help guys.
You're in luck. this has and continues to be a source of a lot of good information as most members keep their tegus indoors. Mine are outside or asleep for the winter so I don't have firsthand knowledge.

Skeep

5 Year Member
I've been using Powersun mercury vapor bulbs for years, and they've been great for the most part. I am just now trying out a Megaray bulb since the Powersuns die much too fast. Megaray lists the UV output at different distances in great detail, and assuming the information is accurate, you can see exactly what wattage of bulb is healthy or dangerous for your situation. I don't have a solarmeter so I haven't tested the accuracy of the chart against my bulb though.

dpjm

5 Year Member
Khaotic, that article points out two potential dangers of mercury vapor lamps.

1) They put out a high level of ultraviolet radiation. Yes, this is true. This is why they are effective. You do have to be careful that you are not exposing yourself to the lamp at a close distance. I have measured a Mega Ray lamp within inches of the bulb and the levels are very high, much higher than you could experience from the sun exposure. I have measured almost 60 on a UVI meter (Solarmeter 6.5) at a very close distance to a 275 W Mega Ray lamp. For reference, the world record as far as I can find for UVI measurement from the sun is 43, and that was up on a volcano is South America. So yes, if you were exposed to this by accident it would be very bad. The closer you are to the lamp the higher the UV levels are, so you must set the lamp up at the correct height so your animal is exposed to the appropriate levels of UV depending on the species. If you are cautious then this danger of overexposure to UV can be 100% avoided. If you need to work close to the lamp, either turn it off or cover your skin.

2) They leak mercury. Well, this is one that I have not heard of. Of course, mercury exposure is really, really bad and these lamps do have a very small amount of mercury that vaporizes when the lamp is on. But do they actually leak mercury vapor into the air? I don't know and I can't actually find any information on this. I would think that if this was an issue then there would be some, as mercury vapor lamps are used around humans, not just for reptiles. This article suggest that there is lots of evidence but then fails to provide any citations to support this idea and since I can't find any either it makes me think this is just paranoia. The mercury in the lamp is contained within the arc tube which is contained within the outer glass envelope, so it's separated from the outside from two layers of glass. If it was leaking a significant amount of mercury then I would think that the lamp would stop working altogether. If the outer envelope is cracked then the bulb should be disposed of properly but under regular conditions I don't see a reason to be concerned about mercury vapor leaking from the lamp. If anyone can find anything on this, please provide info.

Last edited:

Skeep

5 Year Member
Khaotic, that article points out two potential dangers of mercury vapor lamps.

1) They put out a high level of ultraviolet radiation. Yes, this is true. This is why they are effective. You do have to be careful that you are not exposing yourself to the lamp at a close distance. I have measured a Mega Ray lamp within inches of the bulb you see the levels are very high, much higher than you could experience from the sun exposure. I have measured almost 60 on a UVI meter (Solarmeter 6.5) at a very close distance to a 275 W Mega Ray lamp. For reference, the world record as far as I can find for UVI measurement from the sun is 43, and that was up on a volcano is South America. So yes, if you were exposed to this by accident it would be very bad. The closer you are to the lamp the higher the UV levels are, so you must set the lamp up at the correct height so your animal is exposed to the appropriate levels of UV depending on the species. If you are cautious then this danger of overexposure to UV can be 100% avoided. If you need to work close to the lamp, either turn it off or cover your skin.

2) They leak mercury. Well, this is one that I have not heard of. Of course, mercury exposure is really, really bad and these lamps do have a very small amount of mercury that vaporizes when the lamp is on. But do they actually leak mercury vapor into the air? I don't know and I can't actually find any information on this. I would think that if this was an issue then there would be some, as mercury vapor lamps are used around humans, not just for reptiles. This article suggest that there is lots of evidence but then fails to provide any citations to support this idea and since I can't find any either it makes me think this is just paranoia. The mercury in the lamp is contained within the arc tube which is contained within the outer glass envelope, so it's separated from the outside from two layers of glass. If it was leaking a significant amount of mercury then I would think that the lamp would stop working altogether. If the outer envelope is cracked then the bulb should be disposed of properly but under regular conditions I don't see a reason to be concerned about mercury vapor leaking from the lamp. If anyone can find anything on this, please provide info.

Wow, a 275W MegaRay bulb is pretty extreme! I can't imagine an enclosure requiring such a high wattage unless it was a whole room and the light was mounted to the ceiling. :) . I'm even worried my 100W might be too intense.

Just thought I'd mention that fluorescent bulbs also use mercury, so there is no UVB lighting solution that is mercury free. But these bulbs are all very common and considered safe. Just make sure you dispose of them properly and be very careful not to break them.

dpjm

5 Year Member
275 W are very strong and are generally hung at least 3 feet but maybe up to 6 ft from the animal. Used only in very large enclosures.

Zyn

I've mostly only seen them in croc and indoor turtle enclosures.

Being an electrician I've never heard of leaking mercury. I handle broken flouresents all the time. There is a hazard if broken. If there were leak the light simply wouldn't turn on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supportibi