• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Millipedes?

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Has any ever thought of breeding Giant African Millipedes (Archispirostreptus gigas)? I just got the idea and seeing as I'm going to have some large lizards in my care I figured, why not ask and see if it possible. So I need to know if first of all, are they are breedable and secondly how? I also need to know about caging, heating, diet, etc. Also, are they toxic if fed a certain diet? Like how hornworms are if you feed them tomato leaves. Also what about the normal Millipede (Narceus americanus)

So please overload me information!

Spencer

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Millipedes use hydrogen cyanide as a defence, they also do not get this toxic substance through a food source as in hornworms. Hydrogen cyanide is toxic to many living things, I would not use them as a food source.

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Darn.. thats to bad. They would have been a nice meal and would help keep costs down if you started breeding them. You'd only need to feed a few compared to roaches or even crickets.

Spencer

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No I feed rats and chicks, lol.

What else is there in the way of safe insects? Farm rasied hornworms are fine.

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Maybe I'll go grasshopper hunting once it warms up out here. Put them in a 10 gallon with a bunch of grass, and if they're all alive in a week then they're food!

Spencer

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PinkPunisher said:
Maybe I'll go grasshopper hunting once it warms up out here. Put them in a 10 gallon with a bunch of grass, and if they're all alive in a week then they're food!

Spencer

Some of them are toxic as well, also they are known to carry parasites.

Beasty

5 Year Member
How about farm raised locusts?
Also, there are some BIG breeds of roaches! I mean I have some hissers that would make any tegu full to the tune of mouse equivalent. Only problem there is you'd have to only feed off excess males as the females are your producers and you'd decimate your colony fast feeding them off.(not to mention they grow slow as Xmas) I'm looking into an even larger species to breed, just for variety. I have a feeling I'm gonna be in for it with 2 Extremes and 1 Blue AND a Blue/Red hybrid trade in the works!(that's not counting the Ackie pair!)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980