• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Mites??

VenusAndSaturn

I took Oreo out while I was watching youtube and I was looking at her and this small tan mite just ran across her head. I don't see anymore on her, I've never dealt with mites so I'm a bit lost at what to do. I also don't see any mites on any of my other animals.

In the morning I'll throw out her substrate and replace with paper towels just in case, hopefully they're only in her tank if there is more.

dpjm

5 Year Member
I've dealt with mites lots, but never in a lizard. There are some mites that are harmful (called parasitic mites) and some that are not (called soil mites). Parasitic mites consume the blood of the host animal, while soil mites just consume detritus. Hopefully yours are only soil mites. It would be very hard to tell the difference with a naked eye, so your best bet it to take you tegu out and look for more mites. If you see a large number crawling on your tegu then it is most likely they are the parasitic type. Soil mites would occasionally crawl onto your tegu but you would see less of a concentration of them. Parasitic mites would most likely be found in higher concentrations around the nostrils, inner lining of lips, eyelids, armpits, and vent area.

VenusAndSaturn

Hopefully it's just soil mites then, I checked all over her today and couldn't find a single mite on her at all. I'll probably go an check her enclosure once I get done preparing my BP's meal and then I'll see if I can find any mites in her tank.

EDIT- So just checked her enclosure, not a single mite from what I could see on any of her logs, and rocks, none on the edges of the enclosure and from what I saw nothing in her substrate.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced