• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Morning all

Daniel Daley

Hello everyone,

I posted on here few weeks ago, I've officially built my enclosure and I'm getting my first ever 6-7 month old Tegu next week. I have a few concerns so want to make sure everything runs smoothly.

As it is nearly September, I'm guessing a lot of Tegus are ready for the big snooze, I realise that when I get a Tegu next week, it might end up hibernating very soon after, as I live in sunny England the weather can be all over the show.

My first question would be, shall I go ahead and feed the usual to the Tegu when I get him/her? or shall I cut down on the food as soon as I get him/her ? I don't want the food to rot in the stomach so I'm trying to be as cautious as possible.

Thanks guys

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Congrats, Daniel. New tegus generally hide and refuse food for 1-2 weeks regardless of season. As long as you have the necessary heat on one end, etc., I wouldn't worry about stomach problems. Problem is if no sufficiently warm spot is available after they eat.

Seasonally, they will simply stop eating and after two weeks, you can lower the basking temps.

So, offer some food (so as not to waste) when it arrives and see how it goes.

Daniel Daley

Great! thank you Walter for the advice, I will do this. I've just brought some chicken hearts, turkey meat balls and I will get some locust, fruit and veg so I can give him/her a variety.

Daniel Daley

Hi guys I'm having some issues and as stated, I'm very close to buying the Tegu.

I want to make sure I'm not over thinking things.

My enclosure humidity at night, I checked it last night and it was at 90% I'm guessing the humidity at 90% over night is bad?

In the day the humidity stays at levels around 75%

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi guys I'm having some issues and as stated, I'm very close to buying the Tegu.

I want to make sure I'm not over thinking things.

My enclosure humidity at night, I checked it last night and it was at 90% I'm guessing the humidity at 90% over night is bad?

In the day the humidity stays at levels around 75%
Youre good.

Daniel Daley

So it's normal? Sorry I panic a lot lol photo from 7am this morning

Attachments

• 20170826_085115.jpg
    20170826_085115.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10

Daniel Daley

Hello guys,

I have the tegu now which I got on Friday evening, he burrowed instantly and only saw him for a split second yesterday, is this normal?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hello guys,

I have the tegu now which I got on Friday evening, he burrowed instantly and only saw him for a split second yesterday, is this normal?
Yup. They are creatures of strong routine, so being moved sresses them enough that they'll hide alot for 1-2 weeks. Keep conditions steady with basking site, etc. Also, this species overwinters for some period of time and may coincide with brumation. I would keep conditions steady for the rest of September, offering small amounts of food. Watch whatche does. Beginning in October if he is sluggish, then cool off the enclosure to below 70 F and keep a warm but not hot light at other end. Water present always. Some sleep continuously, others intermittantlt, some for 2 mo., others for 4-5 mo. Hope this helps.

Daniel Daley

Walter, your a legend thank you. I will leave him be then, I will keep putting in small amounts of food / water in the enclosure.

I was worried he may have died and I wouldn't have known or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam