• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My First Baby Cresties Have Hatched!

Logie_Bear

After what felt like an unbearable wait, my first crested gecko hatchlings have emerged! Mom was laying infertile eggs last season, but I wanted to wait till this year to put her with a male. It was totally worth the wait, because she laid two healthy, fertile eggs for me on Valentine's Day. :p Baby one hatched on Thursday night and baby two hatched Friday afternoon. I feel soooo lucky to have a successfully hatch from both eggs, especially considering this was mama gecko's first time as well! I was especially skeptical of egg #2, as it was not evenly calcified when she laid it. Just goes to show you, never throw out an egg till your certain it isn't fertile!

So far, I need to get better pics of the second hatchling. I've been trying to leave them alone for the most part and I'm biting my nails like a nervous ninny waiting for them to start eating. o_O But, in my eyes they are the most beautiful babies ever. It's very interesting to see how each hatchling has inherited traits from each parent. Anyways, onward to the best part - pics!

VIDEO0053_0000023943-1.jpg

IMAG0287.jpg

^^ Hatchling 2
I think s\he's going to be a very nice pinner!

IMAG0274-1.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

^^ Hatchling 1 seems to have Mom's phantom pinstripe and some of dad's brindle spots! Of course, over the next few months, it'll be fascinating to see how their colors and patterns change / emerge!

Also, here's Mom and Dad.

herp_derp.jpg
gimpy_geckof.jpg

Somewhat outdated pic of the sire. But yes, he is 3 legged gecko (got him as a rescue, its not genetic!)

Anyways, hope everyone enjoys!
Anyone else have some cool breeding projects happening right now?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Congrats! These are some awesome shots.
Must feel good to breed them for the first time. Nicely done!

Logie_Bear

I took a better shot of hatchling #2. This lil guy is gonna be stud! And I'm pretty sure I saw them eat the tiniest bit of food last night, which is a huge relief to my nerves!

IMAG0298.jpg

Logie_Bear

Hi all!

Yesterday my 2nd clutch of eggs hatched out! I wanted to show a few update pics of my babies from 5/2 and a few new shots of the cuties that hatched yesterday. :)

Update for my first 2 hatchlings:

This is my first (ever) hatchling, who's developing a nice creamy yellow

IMAG0480-1.jpg

I love the one spot on the top of his(her?) head!

Here's the clutchmate:

IMAG0476.jpg

I loooove the tri-colors coming in on this one! :rolleyes:

IMAG0483.jpg

Both of these lil guys just ate their first live dubias and are doing really great. I don't know that I'll ever be able to sell any of these babies... They're just too stinkin' cute!

Here are the 2 that hatched yesterday, 6/9:

IMAG0456-1.jpg

First hatch. This lil one was sitting in the incubator when I woke up. (hasty cell pic b/c I wanted to get him set up and wash off the egg goo)

VIDEO0079_0000021670-1.jpg

Love those 1st day reds... wish they lasted after the first shed! Nevertheless, that pinstripe is gonna turn out smexy!

Egg #2 hatched around 5pm:

VIDEO0079_0000115807-1.jpg

So many freckles! :eek:

VIDEO0079_0000139678.jpg

(looking larger than life!)

IMAG0463.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Logie_Bear

Since cresties are kept at room temp, do you need an incubator for the eggs or can you just leave them in the enclosure?

My 'incubator' is a rubbermaid snack container. They do great at room temp, I keep them on a bottom shelf and they stay about 73-75 F. Warmer temps would hatch the eggs faster, but that's not usually best for the gecko. Both my clutches have pipped at just over 3 months (about 68/70 days) but I've heard of clutches going as long as 120+ days! If you hatch them too fast or too hot the gecko is more likely to be under developed or have other issues.

I'd also caution against hatching them in the enclosure, simply because mom and dad would be likely to go all Hannibal Lecter on any babies.

IMAG0539.jpg

Pair on the left just laid last night. Lookit the size difference! (right pair should be ready to pop in a month)

IMAG0535-1-1.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam