• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My new 6-8mo red tegu

rebel00soul

Hey everyone I’m new to the Tegu community and have had mine (I named him/her Salamence) for a week now. Anyone have any tips on a more effective way to try bonding with him/her? I’ve cut up one of my shirts I’ve worn to work and placed it inside of it’s hide. When I open the enclosure Salamence will start breathing heavily and thrash about when I pick him up. For the most part he/she will calm down a bit and will let me pet his/her head,chin, and ears. I got in yesterday evening and woke him up by digging him/her out and picking him/her up. I’m pretty sure Salamence was pissy from just being woken up, but he started his heavy breathing, leaving his mouth open (first time) and for the first time tried jumping away from me. I eventually got Salamence out and he/she calmed down for a bit, and I talked to him/her while petting him/her. I put him/her back in the enclosure and started straightening up the hides. Usually Salamence doesn’t mind and just watches me, but this time he started tail whipping. Salamence has let me feed it Dubai roaches with tongs in the past so I tried to create a positive experience by feeding one to it, but Salamence just backed away into it’s hide. I know it’ll take longer than a week for Salamence to get used to me, but was curious if anyone has tips that have helped them in the past. Super excited about this journey we’ll be on together and just want Salamence to know I’m not a threat and just want to love him/her. I did notice this time when I went to put Salamence back in the enclosure he/she didn’t take off running from my hand. Just leisurely walked away. Oh and needless to say but I’m not sure of the gender at the moment either. I’m familiar with the guys who work at the reptile store I got him from and even frequently visited him before purchasing him, and I know for sure his temperament has definitely chilled out a bit in comparison to when I first saw him.
9125FE57-8EE3-4525-A09B-2E17EE60B407.jpeg
609FE385-8D8A-4AFF-8B5B-D674B834FBF9.jpeg

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
First of all, he's beautiful. Next - totally normal for ANY Tegu to resist a new home, and freak out for some amount of time - generally, a period of a few weeks. Can't tell how big he is, but he looks as old as you said from your pics. At about a year they REALLY start to act up. Everything you mentioned - plus some. Not all Tegus go through such a harsh puberty, but some can really hold on to their stressful antics. It's also very normal - whatever they go through, just know that they'll settle down at some point. No one really likes to quote exact timing of this event, but I had a male that went through 10 months of hating me, and a female that didn't really go through it at all.

I would stop taking him/her out of his resting or sleeping area. He wants to feel secure right now. You're upsetting that. I know how tempting it is, but don't do it. Let him come to you. You did good with the shirt thing, now make sure you exercise a LOT of patience, and if there's huffing and puffing, etc., then walk away. Keep coming back, but let him lead, meaning let him come to you as much as possible. It really does work - maybe a little Tegu Whispering going on - but forcing yourself on the animal is not generally done because it's the opposite of what he's looking for. They are suddenly on another planet...time to hide until I venture out a little at a time.

Food is always a good temptation for them. It helps in the bonding process that he knows it comes from you. I wouldn't do hand feeding though. Trust me, an adult bite is VERY painful. I made the mistake and paid the price!

Good luck!! I'm thinking he looks male - but watch to see if his jowls start growing more. He's at that age where they'll start to show more.

rebel00soul

Thank you so much for the feedback! I’ll be super patient with him/her and will do a better job with respecting his/her space to give them time to adjust. I noticed the jowls too and thinking male but don’t want to jump the gun on that. Honestly I’d freak out to if I suddenly was in a new place and some big hand came pulling me out of my sleep where I’m hiding out. I’ve been putting food out in the morning before he/she wakes up. Should I keep doing it that way or wait to let him/her see me bringing the food? Now I’m a little more prepared and happy to know it’s typical behavior and look forward to working with him/her. It’ll make it even more sweeter once he/she mellows out

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
You're doing great - you have a good attitude. He/she will def mellow out, but they are not easily convinced that they aren't in danger. I had someone tell me that I shouldn't come from up over top of them (when I first got mine) and I thought that was good advice too. That's where hawks and other predators make their moves!

I really went through an inordinate amount of aggression with my male, but he loves seeing me coming now, and there is an obvious bond. When he sees me, he shuts his eyes and waits for his jowl rub!! They love that.

I always say, if my Tegu can mellow out...any Tegu can!

rebel00soul

That makes total sense with the predator aspect and will definitely form a habit of coming down to his eye level more. Your male closing his eyes in anticipation of his jowl rub melted my heart! Lol it makes me excited and want to put in the extra effort even more! Do you have any pictures of your babies?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced