• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My outdoor enclosure progress and some questions.

beardeddragon111

Couldn't work on it for most of today because it was raining outside but here's my progress so far. I made it because I knew someone who had a ton of 1m long pieces of scrap board, so I took them and put them to use. Bought some welded wire, and some staples and got to work. The enclosure itself is 2mx2mx1m (a little over 6'x6'x3'. The thing is, I don't have a electric stapler, so I had to put in a disgusting amount of staples by hand. I need to make sure there's not a single possible opening for the little rascal to squeeze his way out.

It's gonna be interesting to see how this works. I'd like to keep him outside for most of the year and just hibernate him inside. I live in a pretty ideal tegu climate so it really wouldn't make any sense not to. That way I don't have to keep a massive, heavy enclosure on the second story of the house either.

Anyway, I do have a few questions.
1. What do I use as substrate? Just dig up dirt from the yard and fill the cage? I've had an indoor enclosure rot on me and never want to go through it again, and if this enclosure gives him a chance he'll escape.

2. What do you do during rain/storms?

3. Any negatives to keeping them outdoors?
c88e08ac2aeae761771546e0c9e3f019.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm concerned about the wire mesh and your tegu injuring his nose before he realizes he can't get out.

My advice for substrate is flat stone underneath the enclosure. Some of it black to increase heat absorption. Can even use roofing material.

Rainstorms are benefificial as long as he isn't forcex to sit in the water.

beardeddragon111

So I should have the enclosure laying on something? I can get get some stone.

As for the wire injuring his nose, I dont really know how to get around it. It should be better than when housed in hardware cloth because of the bigger gaps in the metal. Maybe I could put something like corrugated metal around the bottom?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Much of my outdoor enclosue bottom is cement. The sides are 1/2" hardware cloth. A 3X4' section has a bottom of 1/2" hardware cloth and rests on flat stone. Some are dark and heat up more than the lighter ones so that they can choose.

beardeddragon111

Ok so you don't really use a soil type substrate. Do you have any problem with that? Maybe I'll cover the bottom in big flat stones, and give him a large substrate box to dig/hide/cool off.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ok so you don't really use a soil type substrate. Do you have any problem with that? Maybe I'll cover the bottom in big flat stones, and give him a large substrate box to dig/hide/cool off.

Correct, no medium, and no problems. Some of the cement is in shaded area, and I provide a hide with moist sphagnum and peat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam