• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My Tegu has strange bulges on his front legs.

Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while, since everything was going great, but it seems as though my Chacoan Tegu i've had since he was only 3-4 weeks, has strange growths on his front legs. I've tried to figure out if it's maybe a calcium deficiency or maybe even too much calcium, but it's very hard to decipher. As far as his set up goes, he currently has a halogen bulb for heat, and i replaced his UVB bulb about 3-4 months ago. Humidity stays around 70s-90s depending on if i have the fogger on, he eats like a champ, i mainly feed him ground turkey mixed with calcium/w D3 and slightly boiled eggs with the shell still on for some added calcium, here and there. The build up around the front legs seem to be hardened with a bit of give around them. He still walks on all fours with his front legs almost fully extended, not 100%. I was thinking maybe i'd cut back on his calcium intake just in case that could be the problem. Is feeding ground turkey without any supplements bad for him? He is still super active, friendly as a kitten, and loves to roam around, but it does seem like his arms curl slightly.

I also have a Red Tegu who hasn't had these issues yet is under the same conditions, she loves to eat and is always roaming, very active.

I tried to research as much as i could, but i can't seem to find any issues similar to mine anywhere on the web. I also recently purchased a Crested Gecko, and while reading up on them i learned that it's possible they could gain "calcium bubbles" if given too much calcium, but there's very little info on that as well. I don't know if Tegus can get the same thing but it's what i'm thinking currently.

uYxe0O3.jpg

jV5gXQn.jpg

wp1BhiE.jpg

he is also still fully capable of extending himself upwards after he finishes a meal or drink

vinVOEe.jpg

Last edited:

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I'm not seeing an unusual bump in the photos. How long is she? (She isn't showing any signs for now of having male jowl development). If anything, I thought maybe he/she looks a little skinny. I don't give the shells with the raw egg I give my male, but I do give fish oil, and powdered calcium.

I'm not seeing an unusual bump in the photos. How long is she? (She isn't showing any signs for now of having male jowl development). If anything, I thought maybe he/she looks a little skinny. I don't give the shells with the raw egg I give my male, but I do give fish oil, and powdered calcium.
Ah that's very true i never considered her lack of jowls.. though i figured maybe (s)he just wasn't old enough yet.

(S)he's about 19.3 inches long. Purchased her when she was a little 5 inch baby. Here's a pic of her next to a measuring tape.

20201008_224840.jpg

Is it possible my Red, who was sold to me as a female, is actually a male?

Screenshot_20201009-123811_Video Player.jpg

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
You might be right about the size - the avatar for my male was taken when he was 19" long, and he had just started showing his jowls at that time. From your recent pic, it looks like she "may" be slightly underweight, but nothing worrisome. I like to see a little more size at the very top of their tail right by the bottom of their legs. Hers bulges out slightly, but could be bigger there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced