• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My tegu won't eat

Lochlan

I just got a baby tegu a week ago via shipping and he won't eat I avoided handling so that he wouldn't get stressed and I keep him at adequate temperatures, I tried turkey, cut up chicken, kale as well as insects how can I get him to eat?

Jorgo

I think I seen a similar thread on this. I think the general consensus is simply to keep. giving them food, as they may just be a bit shy/cautious due to new surroundings. I would also suggest checking the temperature of his basking spot if you can.

Are the insects alive?

And finally...this is an odd one. But perhaps put food in before going to bed...maybe he is a morning eater? My guy sometimes just wakes up and goes straight for his bowl, and will scratch at the walls to wake me up to get him some early food.

Lochlan

Yeah the insects are alive and I keep the ambient temperature around 100 and the basking spot around 110 and I give him food early in the morning before he gets up as well in the afternoon.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's nothing unusual ........ you've turned his whole life and everything he knew on its head just give it time....Also try getting a more gradient air temp from around 100 down to 70 if you can, but keep the basking spot up at 110 :D

Rusty7486

5 Year Member
Where are you feeding him? When mine was a baby he refused to eat outside of his enclosure. Every tegu is different. If you're still having problems maybe try feeding him somewhere else that's quiet like the bathroom ‍

Mamasaurus

It's brumation season also. He might not want to eat. Feed every day and water just to be safe. I'd keep the cool end at 75 ish and middle at 85 ish with a nice hot basking spot but 100 all over is too warm. Make sure he has a hide and that there's a nice cool, deep, damp substrate in the hide. Mine burrowed down for months when I got him during brumation. He'd drink water then burrow again.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine escapes every couple of week at shed time but my apartment is totally tegu friendly and the game of hide and seek we play is fun (Until you think you've looked everywhere and still cant him)..... haha
I think the heat irritates his skin whilst in peel and he prefers to chill out in the cool..... and yes I always have a basking spot and fresh water out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced