• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

National Breeder's Expo - Daytona

Tikikitty95

Anyone going? It's the 20-21 of August. This will be my first time attending and I wanted to know if there are going to be any tegu breeders there. I would really like to get one at this show (or the Tampa show next weekend) but I am not very familiar with reputable tegu breeders. Also, if anyone has any feedback about the show I'd appreciate it. I met Wayne Hill the other day and he seems pretty good at what he does so I'm thinking it will be well worth it. Thanks in advance :)

chr0nus

i havnt been to one in a few years but they were always much bigger then the repticon and fire expos here in FL. dont know about tegu breeders but im sure their will be some tegus their. ill be their probably both saturday and sunday to look for some more orange eyed croc skinks.

Nytes_Haven

I will be attending as I live in Daytona Beach (only 10 mins from the location of Expo). With regards to buying a tegu there, please be very careful. I made the mistake and purchased a tegu that I was told was a Captive Bred Argentine B&W at the Orlando Reptile Expo, but after a few weeks I noticed extreme aggression (including charging and biting). I called/spoke with Bobby in length, told him who I purchased the tegu from and what I was dealing with, and Bobby did confirm that I prob was sold a Colombia wild caught tegu (at a whopping price of $135.00) and not a captive bred. So I do highly recommend that you research all the vendors prior to purchasing one, a sort of buyers beware.....
Nytes_Haven said:
Correction: Colombian wild caught tegu

Tikikitty95

I'm heading up Friday to catch the Gecko Symposium and then I'll do the show the next day. At a reptile show a while back (Orlando I think) they had the croc skinks for $50 a piece and I think that went down for multiples. Best price I've seen so far.

And that really sucks. I have a running list of people and businesses to keep an eye on. I got a baby "Argentine" a few weeks ago from a guy off of craigslist. He said I was getting a great deal and such and I believed him. Anyway being the skeptic I am, I went home and did some looking around only to discover that I had a Colombian. I was really mad but I only paid $50 and he was so cute. I think I had him 5 days before he was found stone cold dead. He didn't look sickly in the least poor guy. But now I have become pretty good at telling the difference between Colombians and Argentines so I won't go into this as blindly as with the other one. That guy never even replied when I told him what all had happened. Gotta watch out for people I guess.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'll drive up for one day or the other.

A lot of people will have tegus, but usually no specific breeders. You can ask Bobby if he will have sold any babies to a retailer like Ben Siegel. Undeground Reptiles will have some, but usually reds. There will be lots of Colombians, and they can be labelled as "black and whites", buyer beware. I don't remember seeing very many baby Argentines last year.

Nytes_Haven

I learned my lesson with buying a tegu, I am only buying from Bobby, and am waiting for my All American to hatch sometime next month (and will be placing a deposit on a red or an extreme from his 2012 stock). I will mainly will be checking out supplies, feeders (I have a Beardie) and such.

chr0nus

yeah i got one of the orange eyed croc skinks at orlando at the expo in january and love her so much im thinking about getting
2-3 more and maybe try breeding them.

Tikikitty95

I actually ended up getting a pair of babies at the Tampa show so I'm good in the tegu department. I'm mainly going to get some crested geckos to get my colony up and going. My mother wants to get a BTS or something like that. Maybe a blood python or some croc skinks too. We have our dates as the 19-20 but we may change it to 20-21. I want to catch the gecko symposium but Sunday has the best deals. So I don't know exactly when I'm going at this point.

Tikikitty95

Make sure you learn to tell the difference between Colombians and argentines if at all possible. I got my tegus at the last show but I'm looking for some crested geckos and I'm going to price caiman lizards

spark678

Tikikitty95 said:
Make sure you learn to tell the difference between Colombians and argentines if at all possible. I got my tegus at the last show but I'm looking for some crested geckos and I'm going to price caiman lizards

Yeah I got that taken care of. Its a shame if they try and pass them as argentine. Does anyone know if they will even have argentine tegus? I dont remember seeing any at the tampa one a year ago but it was much smaller. So we will see.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced