• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need A Little Guidence

Sayre Morgan

I just got my new tegu within the past two days. He is a beautiful blue, but like I suspected he is a good bit skittish. He hasn’t tried to bite me or whip me but he just puffs up and goes and hides. So far I have just been sitting outside his cage with the door open and food beside me. I sit and read a book aloud to let him become used to my voice. I don’t know if I am doing this right it seems too early to tell but I don’t want to screw up and create an aggressive animal that isn’t attracted to me in any kind of way. What should my first few steps include? Also my shirt is under his basking light (where he spends most of his time)

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi and welcome..... Juvenile tegus are very skittish,so for one thing I wouldn't worry on that score its nothing out the ordinary... It also sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and have a pretty clear idea of how to do things... For now the only thing I could suggest at this early stage is as you sit there reading, place a hand in his cage (NOT to touch him) so he can familiar himself with it and maybe come investigate it on his own terms..

Sayre Morgan

Hi and welcome..... Juvenile tegus are very skittish,so for one thing I wouldn't worry on that score its nothing out the ordinary... It also sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and have a pretty clear idea of how to do things... For now the only thing I could suggest at this early stage is as you sit there reading, place a hand in his cage (NOT to touch him) so he can familiar himself with it and maybe come investigate it on his own terms..
Thank you for replying. Yeah I have heard from many people that taking it slowly is the best. I also have heard it doesn’t always work and sometimes the more abrasive version of handling regardless works better. This is my only pet currently. I have had plenty before but I would hate to have him turn out to be a rotten egg.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've yet to hear of one. Some are more friendly than others, though. All seem to be very bright by our standards.

Akaiahua

Hi Sayre! Any update on your little guy? I’m dealing with the same issues and I was wondering how it’s going?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced