• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need help taming

Lochlan

Hey I just got a baby tegu 2 weeks ago he is a few months old and I'm having trouble taming him I take him out every day at least 30 minutes or more and he is always trying to run and he breaths really hard I'm real gentle with him and don't make any sudden movements and I "reward" him by giving him food, any suggestions would be very appreciated thank you.

TripleTegus

You might wanna start with like 10 min at a time really short periods of positive experience will do more than trying to force something on it the animal really doesn't want. Just keep handling until you can tell it's getting stressed out then let it back in the enclosure. Especially being a baby

KhanKrazy

I don't have a Tegu yet, so you can choose to ignore this if you'd like, but I do have experience with introducing new animals to new environments.

I would say for the first 1-2 weeks do minimal, if any, touching/handling. Go about your normal routine as you would if the Tegu wasn't there. Let him/her see you, and of course change water and substrate as needed and provide food. Pick a certain time each day to spend just sitting in front of the enclosure and talking to him/her, but do not go and pick up. Let him/her decide when they're comfortable to approach and make sure not to move too fast or be careful to never reach from above as that looks like a predator.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't have a Tegu yet, so you can choose to ignore this if you'd like, but I do have experience with introducing new animals to new environments.

I would say for the first 1-2 weeks do minimal, if any, touching/handling. Go about your normal routine as you would if the Tegu wasn't there. Let him/her see you, and of course change water and substrate as needed and provide food. Pick a certain time each day to spend just sitting in front of the enclosure and talking to him/her, but do not go and pick up. Let him/her decide when they're comfortable to approach and make sure not to move too fast or be careful to never reach from above as that looks like a predator.

Really good advice I second that.

Remember this little guys whole world has just being tipped upside down and these are animals that live 15-20 years and so trust is not going to happen over night....... Patience is key and about 6 month should be enough:D:D

Mich lady

Yes I agree also, I've had Roman for seven months. He was a juvenile when I got him. So I'm assuming he is a sub adult now? Anyway, it takes time to build up trust. He lets me pick him up and cuddle him. But its on his terms . Sometimes he chuffs at me cuz he is being a brat. But it takes time, so go slow and gentle and the reward is well worth it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam